Small Hydraulic drips

Taz Devil

I noticed this past weekend that there was a small amount of hydraulic fluid dripping from the fitting on one of the slide outs and the main pump fittings. How difficult is it to repair these and what do you use on the fittings threads? (Teflon tape / plumbers putty)

Thanks Kevin

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not from the factory but I think I can share some thoughts. Is the leak at the fitting where the hose connects or where the fitting screws into the ram or feeder block?
If it is the fitting on the hose try to snug it up some. The hoses do not require any type of sealant as I think they are a compression type fitting. If it is the male end that screws into the feeder block or ram it would have to be removed and thread sealed. Of course if you remove the fitting you would have to bleed the system and that is something I cannot help you with.
You may also have a cracked fitting. Did you look closely at the leak area?

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you mean the slide selector valves/knobs on the manifold, I had a small leak on one last summer while using them. After running the valve in and out a couple of times, the leak stopped. The slides had been extended for a couple of months before this occurred, so maybe it just needed a little manipulation.

Taz Devil

Some of the leaks are from around the threaded fittings on the manifold and on one that I can see from the threaded fitting on the cylinder. It looks like the one on the cylinder has been leaking for a while because there is a stain on the bottom of the enclosure. How tight are the fitting suppose to be? I really don't want to get up under there and break a valve and make it worse.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Put a wrench on the fittings and give them just a little torque. If they're just a little loose, you may solve the problem. If they don't budge, then maybe it's time for a visit to the repair shop. Analogous to tightening the packing nut on a water valve. Sometimes just a little nudge is all it takes to stop the drip and avoid the plumber.

boatdoc

Ours drips a very,very slight amount from the small valves. It's not enough for me to worry about so a small shop rag on the reservoir top to catch the drip is my cure-all.

hoefler

Use 2 wrenches! They are a metal to metal compression fittings. Sometimes you will have to put some muscle into it, but they need to be very tight. Do not use any sealant of any kind, you will contaminate the system.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
FYI. To bleed the hydraulic system run the slides in and out a few times. Also extend and retract your landing gear.