Getting a new 3055RL

auto

Pretty excited, been looking at various brands for about 1.5 years and came to the conclusion that Heartland provides a helluva QPR (quality price ratio). I have had a previous 5th wheel as a deer lease trailer, that we did not care much about.

This trailer will on be moved about 4 times a year. What accessories and suggestions do the experts have for care and feeding of the trailer?;)

jpmorgan37

auto said:
Pretty excited, been looking at various brands for about 1.5 years and came to the conclusion that Heartland provides a @#%&*@# QPR (quality price ratio). I have had a previous 5th wheel as a deer lease trailer, that we did not care much about.

This trailer will on be moved about 4 times a year. What accessories and suggestions do the experts have for care and feeding of the trailer?;)

In your past four post, you say that you will only be moving it 3 or four times a year. How much will you be using it? Will you be using it only in the DFW area? In the winter? In the summer? Will you be using it for camping or deer hunting? You asked about pricing, but you don't say what options you are thinking about. What dealer are you dealing with? There are lots of us who will be more that willing to make suggestions and recommendations, but you need to be a lot more specific. Help us to help you.

John

auto

The trailer will will be used almost every weekend April-Ocotber. There is no modern conveinence, i.e. sewer,water, electriciy. The trailer will be on the Brazos River near Rio Vista for water sports. I am dealing with Explore RV in Denton and going with their standard package on the BigHorn 3055RL, I will have the options list this week. A few times a year I will tow it for duck hunting, but nothing major. Hope this helps.

jpmorgan37

Hi Auto;

Thanks for the info. From what I hear, you are dealing with a good dealer group. I don't know about the one in Denton for sure. I've had good experience with the one in Georgetown. If you are using a generator for power, I hope it's large enough to run at least one AC. We are in Temple and run two when the temp starts peaking. Also, I would definately get the dual pane windows. They make a world of difference. I also would opt for two six volt batteries (Trojan T105's) and a good inverter (2 kw or larger). Do some searches in this forum. There are several members who do a lot of dry camping and have given a lot of information on the subject. Good luck.
John

auto

jpmorgan37 said:
Hi Auto;

Thanks for the info. From what I hear, you are dealing with a good dealer group. I don't know about the one in Denton for sure. I've had good experience with the one in Georgetown. If you are using a generator for power, I hope it's large enough to run at least one AC. We are in Temple and run two when the temp starts peaking. Also, I would definately get the dual pane windows. They make a world of difference. I also would opt for two six volt batteries (Trojan T105's) and a good inverter (2 kw or larger). Do some searches in this forum. There are several members who do a lot of dry camping and have given a lot of information on the subject. Good luck.
John

Thanks. I have an 8000KW Generac, that should be able to run at least one on the 30 Amp. We will be out during the heat of the day playing, so as long as we can keep it at 80, which we have that most 30' with one AC can. Why the recommendation on batteries an batteries?

jpmorgan37

Your 8 kw should have no problem at all running the AC or even two AC's. I would use a Surge Guard between the generator and the converter just as a safety precaution. We use a Surge Guard almost everywhere that we plug in. There is way to much sensitive electronics in these appliances. As far as the inverter is concerned, I could run for about 3 days on a 2 kw inverter and the two T105's before having to charge my batteries. Using a charge wizard and the inverter, about all you would need the generator for would be to charge the batteries and run the AC. I ran everything else off of the inverter. I don't dry camp much anymore. We spend most of our time with hookups.
John