2008 F250 6.4 and Sundance 2900MK Weights

floridarandy

2008 F250 6.4 and 2009 Sundance 2900MK Weights

Finally got around to putting these numbers together using DW_Gray's great Excel worksheet. Since this was our first 5ver and tow vehicle I did a lot of reading prior to purchasing the truck. The F150 was quickly dismissed and the F250 seemed the minimum. Then, after more reading and looking at actual 5vers we might buy I began to get an uneasy feeling that we'd be smarter to consider an F350. By that time DW thought I was being overly cautious as she'd begun to notice bigger rigs than we were considering running down the road behind F250's. And once the 2008 KR at a steal price came into view there was no changing course.....yet I still had the gut feeling that we'd be overweight in some aspect.

The 2008 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide states "The towing vehicle's brake system is rated for operation at the GVWR - NOT GCWR. Since the F Series uses the same diesel in the F550 as our F250 the obvious issue wouldn't be towing power...differences must be in frame/suspension/brake systems.

And, sure enough our rig appears over GVWR for the truck by at least 1180 pounds. All other measures are within limits with front and rear truck axles right at the limits. Firestone Transforce AT E Rated 3415lbs/side (6830 total) so OK on tire loads.

Although not shown on the worksheet the 2900MK's 8080# on the scale resulted in 3980# on the front axle and 4100# on the rear (6000# axles). Mission 16" E rated 3520/side 7040# max. so OK on tire loads.

So for now it'll be keep weights to a minimum in the truck....load the 5ver to the rear to reduce pin weight as much as possible and take it EZ going down the road, i.e., speeds and following distances.

I encourage all of us to take the time to do these calcs. We can all make better decisions with the actual numbers at hand.

If I've missed the mark on my calcs or conclusions please point them out.

Randy in Florida

Attachments

• Randy Weights.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Crumgater

Re: 2008 F250 6.4 and 2009 Sundance 2900MK Weights

I followed the math ok, but... I'm confused...
With the dry ratings on the Sundance 2900MK showing a hitch pin weight of 1930 and total weight of 9170 (dry)... I can see adding 2000 lbs of 'stuff' - but half of that went to the hitch? That seems odd.

The weight split also puts 26% of the trailer on the hitch, where I thought most 5ers were designed for <20% on the hitch pin.

Am I missing something?

Did you have the water tanks full when you went to the scale?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the data!

It does make me more interested in getting actual weights on ours. We'll have to add that to the list of things to do next time we take it out.

floridarandy

I followed the math ok, but... I'm confused...
With the dry ratings on the Sundance 2900MK showing a hitch pin weight of 1930 and total weight of 9170 (dry)... I can see adding 2000 lbs of 'stuff' - but half of that went to the hitch? That seems odd.

The weight split also puts 26% of the trailer on the hitch, where I thought most 5ers were designed for <20% on the hitch pin.

Am I missing something?

Did you have the water tanks full when you went to the scale?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the data!

It does make me more interested in getting actual weights on ours. We'll have to add that to the list of things to do next time we take it out.

Truck weights were done when I first got truck...5ver hitch in place, full tank but no gear and no DW.

5ver weights were done connected to truck on our first camping run. 1/3 water tank, gray and black empty....gear but not what it would be for a trip.

With regard to your note on pin weight I remember a post somewhere here that pin weight on brochure is included in dry weight. I too was surprised at the calc'd pin weight but can't see where the calc would be wrong math wise.

After browsing truck/rig combos here for a few months i suspect weights would be wise for a lot of us.

More comments welcome.

mesteve

I just read your post, linked in from ontoher thread. I will say, It makes me feel a whole lot better being 450# over GVWR and 120# over RAWR with my setup. Of course, we were loaded pretty good for that weigh-in as we were living in it during a PCS this summer.