Troubles Insuring New Duallies

porthole

Retired
I was told by my insurance company that the new truck I have on order, due to it's weight rating, requires a commercial insurance policy. eeeerrrgghhhhhhh.

Reyllock

Re: UK Insurance Companies....Mmmm

I was told by my insurance company that the new truck I have on order, due to it's weight rating, requires a commercial insurance policy. eeeerrrgghhhhhhh.

What's the trucks weight?? Over here a commercial policy would probably be cheaper!

branson4020

Icantre Member

Maybe someone in the insurance industry will chime in here, but I believe the regulations about what rigs require a commercial policy and what a commercial policy covers vary from state to state, even for the same insurance co.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Me?
Allstate

Which put you over, the weight or the wheels? Mine weighs 8040 lbs, with me and a full tank, and has six wheels but did not require a commercial policy. Even the tag from my Avalanche transferred over. I've been with State Farm since 1966. Maybe that funny feeling you're getting is their "good hands" reaching into your pockets :eek:

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!

I've been with State Farm since 1966. Maybe that funny feeling you're getting is their "good hands" reaching into your pockets :eek:

BWAHAHAHAHA Good one. State farm here too Since '93, they insure my house, camper and both cars. Never heard them say any BS like that, give them a call and get those good hands out of your pocket....... Unless you like that funny feeling.

porthole

Retired

Which put you over, the weight or the wheels?

Either or - the new truck has a GVW of 13300.

It might just be Allstate, I got a quote from Geico and waiting on Liberty Mutual. Both of those look like they will be "non commercial"
You were lucky on the Avalanche transfer. When I switched from the Tahoe to the GMC it was considered a "wagon" to a truck and not transferable.

All insurance companies stink. Some just worse then others.

Bottom line is how they operate when it comes to claims.
In that respect I have no complaints with Allstate.

State Farm - due to issues we have in my part time job I would never consider them, several others too.
Horrible at paying 3rd party claims

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I forgot which truck you were getting. Or does it have a gun turret on it??

As for State Farm, my experiences have all been good. Back in high school, with my first ride, they were the only ones that would insure me on my own without me becoming an indentured servant. In more recent times, I've never had a problem with a claim on my vehicles or the house.

DMitch

I have State Farm and they have never blinked over my dually. Good company and really take care of you when you have a claim.

2010augusta

We use Farmer/Foremost and the 450 and Trailer are easily combined on one policy as a Rec Vehicle and full-time use.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I as a fulltimer we are using Progressive for our trailer and TV. Haven't had to use the insurance on the truck or on the trailer. Hope that holds true for some time. But mine is a SRW not DRW. Sorry.

BC