Fireplace

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Can anyone tell me about the electric fireplaces in the Bighorn coach? My question is what about heat? How much heat is produced? What about the desk it is built into? does it it hot?

RonNone

jpmorgan37

Ron;
I don't have one so I can't help, but if you go to the top menu bar and do a search on Fireplace in this forum, you will come up with a lot of information to answer your questions as well as some problems that others have experienced and cures that they came up with. Wish I could help more.
John

HappyKayakers

Ron,
The fireplace is useful for 'taking the chill off' in the living room, not for whole coach heating or extended operation. We've found that it comes in very handy at temps below 45.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Thanks for the replies, I did read all the posts to this forum, on the fireplace issues. And I have made-up my mind NO FIREPLACE for me...

Thanks again
Ron

vangoes

Ron,
I have the fireplace mainly because it was in the coach when we bought it so I do not know what it cost if you are ordering it; however, we have enjoyed having it. We was in Gulf Shores during their coldest days this year and we just returned from St. Louis when the temperatures was upper twenties at night and the fireplace definately provided enough heat to make us comfortable and saved us on propane usage. If you close the bedroom door while staying in the living area the fireplace is adequate; although it is not if the bedroom area is left open. We have a small electric space heater for the bedroom that solves that problem. When we go to bed, we leave the fireplace running along with the bedroom space heater. Doing this keeps the furnace from running all night long and saves the propane. In St. Louis with the temps in the twenties at night the furnace would only run periodically which was enough to keep the basement/water lines from freezing while we remained comfortable.

Mels Musty Music

Ron - I agree with HappyKayakers and vangoes and vote for the fireplace. Also want to add that we have had no problems with it in regards to the cabinet overheating. I have to assume the problems that were encountered earlier have been addressed by Heartland.
Hank

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Hank the unit we are looking at has the fireplace installed. So I was going to have the dealer remove it and putin cabinet doors and shelving for storage. After your post and Vangoes, I may have to think on it.:confused:

Ron

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Fireplace....

Ron Schoner said:
Hank the unit we are looking at has the fireplace installed. So I was going to have the dealer remove it and putin cabinet doors and shelving for storage. After your post and Vangoes, I may have to think on it.:confused:

Ron

Ron, we have a 3055RL and it came with the fireplace. We have been pleased as we have used it quite a bit in December here in Florida. It got down into the 40s at night and during the day 50-60s. We used the fireplace to keep the chill off in the living room. The furnace didn't have to run much and we did save on propane quite a bit. The electric bill wasn't bad either. I am going to improve the mounting of it and insulate it's area better to be sure to keep the area from getting too hot. We didn't run it all night, just off and on during the day. I would suggest you have your dealer check the fireplace for proper mounting and heat shielding.

Tom

nhunter

I would not buy an rv WITHOUT a fireplace again. I use mine all to time to keep the back end warm. Our cabinet got hot but I put a piece of 3/8" plywood under the front and now it is A-OK. Wife loves it and saves having a 1500w heater out on the floor.

Uncle Rog

Where did you put the 3/8 ? My FP is mounted on the deck, but it still gets the cabinet too hot for me!

Midastouch

Love my fireplace!

I have the fireplace and I have really put it to use since I've had I got my Grand Canyon in September! Right now, it's 34 here and dropping ... I run the fireplace/heater and a small space heater and my coach stays nice and warm. I pretty much do what the vangoes stated, although I don't leave the fireplace running all night...just a small ceramic heater and the furnace goes on and off when needed! I will get great use out of it this week ... we'll be down in the 20's every night and only the 30's during the day. I am so glad I have mine! Besides, it looks great too!

As far as cabinets heating up, my unit has corian countertop above the fireplace and it gets warm, but nothing I get alarmed about ...

nhunter

Mine was sitting on the carpet, so I put 3/8" plywood under the front feet to create an air gap that was supposed to be there. I also had to raise the mantle to account for the fireplace sitting 3/8" higher.

ChopperBill

My dealer removed the carpet and when we run the fire place there is no extreme heat in the cabinet. It does a great job of heating the living room. Only problem I now have is that it wasn't centered and I went to fix that. When I took of the wood trim I found that the glass did not fit the opening. I found that the bottom of the fire place had a huge dent in it causing that problem and also the the wood trim bulged out at the bottom. It had to been damaged before installation as the only way it could have received a dent that big is from a forklift or such. Back to the dealer.

Uncle Rog

Hey Chopper, I know the unit has to be off the carpet, but how does it breathe? The fascia / trim piece is flat on the floor and flush to the box?

ChopperBill

I assumed it breathed through the sides of the top grille and blew heat out the middle. It also has that hole where the cord comes through. Any way it doesn't over heat and works pretty good.

Gary Steeves

Fireplace heater switch

The heater on/off switch will not turn on unless the main fireplace switch on the right side is turned on. I am think about wiring the switch for the heater portion so I can turn on the heater without running the fireplace.

Has anyone else done this - Any problems associated with this change that I'm missing ?

Thanks ! Gary

christianson

We have the fireplace inour 3055 RL we use it all the time it works great no problems with to hot on upper trim I installed a floor vent in the side by the desk like a return air vent I used a reguler floor vent seems to give it more air to move.