Slide Seal Tear

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Well, I opened the slides yesterday to "show off" our new Big Country to some company. Long story short..I always walk around the rig to check that the seals all track outwards (we live in a very WET part of the country). I noticed that the bedroom seal at the very top of the vertical one developed a 2" or so tear near the L bracket (brace) that is screwed into the slide frame. Now, I can manipulate the top horizontal seal to cover this area but I fear that it will only get worse the more times the slide is used.

Do I try to have the entire seal replaced under warranty (I have two months left) or perhaps put a small piece of Eternabond on it?...although it would be difficult to get at.

FYI I do not have a dealer (long distance purchase) but there is a Heartland approved repair facility within 50 miles. A better one just down the street but not "approved"

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I would use the warranty. You could call Heartland to check to see if the other, better, service center could be approved for this or use the other one, but you need to talk to Heartland before the repair either way if the repair shop isn't an HL dealer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just a note.....3M "black" W/Strip adhesive works really well to repair W/Strips. Get it fixed while still in warrenty.

ihsolutions

My slide seal under the bedroom slide is torn due to the seal material getting "sucked in" by the roller mechanism when the slide retracts.

My local dealer, General RV, has demonstrated a complete ineptitude for any and all repairs I've asked them to make. Topped off by really bad customer service.

This can't be that hard to replace myself. I think I'm going to send the attached pic to heartland and see if they won't just send me a replacement seal.

Bed Slide Seal 2.jpgBed Slide Seal 1.jpg

Willym

My slide seal under the bedroom slide is torn due to the seal material getting "sucked in" by the roller mechanism when the slide retracts.

My local dealer, General RV, has demonstrated a complete ineptitude for any and all repairs I've asked them to make. Topped off by really bad customer service.

This can't be that hard to replace myself. I think I'm going to send the attached pic to heartland and see if they won't just send me a replacement seal.

View attachment 11257View attachment 11258
My rig has the same problem. Let us know how you get on. I'll be asking my dealer to fix this when I get home in the spring. I'll expect them to address the root cause of the problem as well.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
UPDATE

I can't tell you how impressed I am with Heartland Customer Service! I did email the pictures to Heartland and a very helpful rep (Cheryl) called within 24 hrs. She made arrangements for us to have the Big Country fixed at our local shop as the only Heartland dealers near us are across the border in Canada, something we prefer not to deal with. Anyway, the 3450TS will get a new seal as soon as the weather improves! Thank you Heartland!

Now off to my Winter Concert...you are all invited! :)

Best Wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

GOTTOYS

Couldn't agree more about the incredible customer service! Glad I spent my money with a company that cares...Don