Things I Have Learned About RV's This Week...

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
These are the customer issues we have had in the last few days. Makes us all feel better about our own "oopsies".

1. If your wife tells you you're going to hit the tree and you keep driving, you WILL rip your refrigerator vent right off the roof. On the upside, they're not that expensive and you didn't tear the roof up.

2. It is never a good thing when a customer comes through the door carrying a plastic bag of what used to be part of his RV.

3. No, no and no. Your 220 dryer plug is not the same as your RV plug and it WILL at the least, if you are very lucky, only damage your converter.

4. If you poke a big hole in exactly the right place in the side of your RV, we can put a window there and make it look good.

mrhits

It sounds like you had a fun week (and we aren't even half way through it), what's in store for the rest of the week?

slmayor

Actually, it's Deb, and I do love my job and my customers. I'll have to start taking before and after pics...LOL
Our techs are pretty good, and the window did look factory when they got done.

You never know what's going to come through the door, which is the fun of it. As a rule, they're pretty good natured about the accidents and oopsies.
I saved a guy today from removing the entire pinbox and buying a new one because the trailer had a Super Glide capture plate attached to it. Previous owner told him he had to get a new pin box to match his hitch..... :)

boatdoc

Deb, The longer you work there the more you'll see. I was amazed when I first broke into the boat world many moons ago, what boaters could do to their watercraft and after all these years I'm still baffled on occasion on how and what they did to their boat. Knowing you, I'll bet you're having fun and biting your lip.
Gary

slmayor

Gary, I thought I had seen a lot with 10 years at the hot rod shop, but this is more fun. I don't have the responsibility of actually running the business. :) As far as boats go, I bought an old Bayliner to learn on, and I've already learned a bunch...LOL Good boat for what I paid, and the kids have had a blast with it. But if it sinks, they can let it go all the way to the bottom...:)

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
The things you see working at or around RV, Car or boat dealers will never cease to amaze you.

Driving a haul and tow truck, people can't resist coming up to me and my unusual rig and talk. Often I am unloading right in front of the show room so I have to put on my best for the dealers customers. I'm never in a big rush like some so I enjoy a good chat after being cooped up in the truck on the trip.

Last year while I was unloading 2 campers at an RV dealer in California I had two older widowed ladies and best friends come up to me and talk to me telling me that they just purchased a brand new F150 pickup and a brand new camper and that they had never ever pulled a trailer before and were going out on their adventure to see the country.

They were finished with the PDI and paperwork and were picking up the trailer that day, Just waiting for the dealer to finish taking care of a couple small last minute things on the trailer.

Often at a small dealer I need to wait a bit to finish my paperwork as they take care of their customers which is no big deal, after all, if it wasn't for their customers none of us would have a job.

The dealer did a very good job showing them how to hook up properly and away they went, waving and smiling. Unfortunatly they cut the corner short, tore down the dealers gate and tore a big hole in the side or the camper and never stopped. They just kept going as if they were oblivious to what just happened as everyone in the dealership looked on in horror.

Now as a proffessional driver with about 1.5 million safe miles with no accidents, I can't say I'm perfect nor can I be critical, I tore up my share of tires, bent rims, mowed down stop signs and even a knocked over a traffic light once manuvering when I first started out. That was just one of those OH SHEET moments and I sure hope they are safe and that things went much better for them on the rest of their adventure.

Stay safe Deb, enjoy your job and try not to get run over in the parking lot.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gary, I thought I had seen a lot with 10 years at the hot rod shop, but this is more fun. I don't have the responsibility of actually running the business. :) As far as boats go, I bought an old Bayliner to learn on, and I've already learned a bunch...LOL Good boat for what I paid, and the kids have had a blast with it. But if it sinks, they can let it go all the way to the bottom...:)
I can entertain myself for hours just sitting near a boat launch. The things some people try are amazing.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I can entertain myself for hours just sitting near a boat launch. The things some people try are amazing.

I'm with you Ray. When we had our boat, we had a slip just across from a launch ramp. I spent many an afternoon on the back deck watching the shows.

skyguy

I'm with you Ray. When we had our boat, we had a slip just across from a launch ramp. I spent many an afternoon on the back deck watching the shows.

Us too! One of my favorites: A guy is bring his pontoon boat into a slip, his wife is standing on the front, ready to hop off and secure the boat. As he gets close, instead of hitting reverse, he guns it FORWARD. Boat hits dock, stops, but launches wife across the run and into the water in the empty slip across. I cannot repeat any of her exclamations when she surfaced.

True story! How can you make this up?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I like the YO YO.s that power their boats onto the trailer and go throught the back of their campers. Or the clown all drunked up and forgets to put the plug in and parks the boat after taking off the trailer. Sitting at a launch ramp with a bag of popcorn and beer is an all day fun stop