LP gas tanks

k-f-Indiana

I don't know whether any of you have experienced this or not, but hopefully someone has & has an idea what causes this and how to avoid it.

More than once, we have come home and the 5er is cold, so we flip on the furnace. After a few minutes, it still is not blowing warm air, blowing but cool. So DH figures the LP tank is empty & switches to the other one. But, the next day when he goes to remove the tank for refill, it does not feel empty, so he hooks it back up, we turn on the furnace and get heat.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Your tanks will switch over automatically if you leave both tank valves open. It sounds like you may have a faulty or sticky regulator, try pouring warm water on the regulater and see if it opens to release the gas flow.

danemayer

I was having a problem feeding gas to the generator from one tank. When full, it would run ok for a little while, then quit. Ran fine from the other tank. Dealer replaced the pigtail on the trouble side.

k-f-Indiana

Your tanks will switch over automatically if you leave both tank valves open. It sounds like you may have a faulty or sticky regulator, try pouring warm water on the regulater and see if it opens to release the gas flow.

We don't have the automatic switch over on our Big Country. It might be nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you do not an have auto regulator? You can get one for under $50.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We don't have the automatic switch over on our Big Country. It might be nice. Thanks for the suggestion.
Karen, are you sure about this?? I think all Heartlands come with the auto switching regulator. Could it be possible your dealer didn't explain the operation? As said earlier, there is an emergency cut off valve built into the OPD device that will shut down the cylinder if anything goes wrong. Sometimes, after connecting a newly filled tank, if you open the tank valve too fast, it will actuate this shut off. Always open the tank valve very slowly. This is what your regulator should look like
CLICK HERE

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I didn't think the furnace would continue to run if the burner does not ignite. Heartland has put a couple of versions of the automatic regulator on their rigs, based on previous posts, but they all work the same. The one on mine is shown in the photo. If you're not familiar with how it works, there was a detailed set of posts not too long ago on it.

View attachment 11230

HappyKayakers

Karen, are you sure about this?? I think all Heartlands come with the auto switching regulator. Could it be possible your dealer didn't explain the operation? As said earlier, there is an emergency cut off valve built into the OPD device that will shut down the cylinder if anything goes wrong. Sometimes, after connecting a newly filled tank, if you open the tank valve too fast, it will actuate this shut off. Always open the tank valve very slowly. This is what your regulator should look like
CLICK HERE

Ray, It's my understanding (after attending an LP dispensing class) that the only thing the OPD valve does is shut down the input if the cylinder is over 80% full when filling. I think the regulator has been the suspect part when opening the valve too quickly, maybe due to air in the line?

SmokeyBare

Joe,

The OPD valve does protect accidental propane leaks by not allowing gas to escape if the tank is not connected to anything.

http://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm

This is a statement propane cylinder users sometimes make following the exchange or re-filling of their bottle. The bottle feels heavier and obviously is filled with propane but opening the valve produces no escaping gas. OPD valves are designed so that propane will not flow from the service valve unless it is hooked up to a hose end connection. This is the way the OPD cylinder valve was designed. Unattached propane cylinders equipped with OPD valves will not allow gas to flow when the service valve (hand-wheel) is opened.

I've found occasionally when I have replaced my door side Propane Tank and turn the gas on, it will start to flow (as seen by turning on the Stove burner) but soon the flame dies down to a very low flame. When this happens I'll turn off the stove, go out and shut down the tank, disconnect the hose end connection, and then reconnect it once again and very slowly turn on the gas. That seems to work for me.

Good luck,

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is my understanding that the supply hoses have an overflow cutoff built into them too. I had two hoses go bad and quit working. Also the regular that is furtherest away from the auto-switch regular was defective too. In my case it would that tank would work for a short time and then quit working. After replacing the regulator and supply hoses it works fine now.

Hoosier Wolverine

These valves WILL stop the gas flow not only when nothing is connected to the tank, but also when a line is suddenly ruptured. I had two lines torn away when a tire blew. The gas flow was stopped instantly. My dealer verified this. At the time of the ruptures, my propane supply was on for refer operation.

caissiel

Last month I had 5 tanks filled at Cosco and they were very fusy on the checking of my tanks and when I arrived home, and went to install one tank on the trailer, the tank valve was fully open and there had not been any leakage while the tank was on the back of the truck. I was glad it was the open valve one that I installed first of the 5. Then I checked the other 4 and they were closed.

I now check all the valves when I load my tanks after a fillup.

dewwood

One thing not mentioned is the fact that the furnace does run for a short time with just the blower on before the burner comes on. How long were you waiting for the furnace to ignite?

k-f-Indiana

Thanks everybody. DH has read the thread, taking all comments into consideration, and studying out the problem. lol Isn't that what men do? Happy travels!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks everybody. DH has read the thread, taking all comments into consideration, and studying out the problem. lol Isn't that what men do? Happy travels!

Uh oh! Your DH may have to turn in his Manly Man card if he's caught reading anything that even smells like an instruction manual. Real men just grab the tool box and start taking things apart. Instructions and guides are for identifying the spare parts after it's put back together. The more manly the man, the more duct tape used in the repair.

BruteForce

I was having a problem feeding gas to the generator from one tank. When full, it would run ok for a little while, then quit. Ran fine from the other tank. Dealer replaced the pigtail on the trouble side.

I had the same problem with the exact same fix. The pigtail on the curb-side tank was faulty and wouldn't allow the furnace to run for more than 30 seconds or so. Even switching to the other propane tank didn't help until the pigtail was replaced.