TomTom is the way to GoGo

I cannot overstate how pleased I am with our new TomTom GPS unit. I bought the XXL540TM from Amazon on an openbox deal. Lifetime traffic and map updates. I was a Garmin user for 4 years, so there was a lot to un-learn and re-learn. I had to reference the owners manual (pdf online) to figure out how to do some tasks. But having spend 3 weeks and 1800 miles with this unit, I love it. If you get this unit, download the computer voice (it isn't as annoying as it sounds). This voice gives you full directions with street names, and multiple street names where applicable (i.e. Highway 360, Gilmer Road). The cute little voices you can download cannot give you the same level of detail. With lifetime map updates included, I look forward to a long relationship with this unit. I bought the Navpak holder and it sits nicely on the dash and stays stable. Love it!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the info! We have both a Tom Tom & a Magellan and I think I find the Tom Tom easier to use. Sadly, that's the one we left in Lin's car at home.

GOTTOYS

We also have a TomTom. It replaced a real old Garmin we have. What difference. After going through the available voices in the unit we selected "Dave". Thus our TomTom is now called Dave. It's amazing that even when we are in some small obscure place Dave, can tell us the name of the street we're on. How does he know?...Don

DMitch

AmazingGrace - Can this unit be set up to avoid tunnels? I can't seem to find to much info on function out on the net.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

dglatta

We also have a TomTom and and Megellan unit. We mostly prefer Tom but mis "Maggie's" ding-ding at designated turns. For a real hoot on Tom, download the John Cleese voice: "Enter the motorway then bear left.......beaver right"! I about drove off the road!

Boca_Shuffles

My first TomTom was for my motorcycle. It cost about four times more than the car models.
We got the GPS in our GMC truck, but found it inferior to the TomTom. Therefore, when the TomTom app became available on the iphone, I gladly down loaded it for $40. This app works great even when you don't have cell service because it uses the GPS built into the iphone 3GS and newer phones.

Since the display is on full time, you do have to have your phone attached to a charger in the car, or you will deplete your iphone battery in about an hour.

AmazingGrace - Can this unit be set up to avoid tunnels? I can't seem to find to much info on function out on the net.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Not many tunnels between MI and TX, so I can't say I've checked that out. I will and I will let you know.

Reyllock

I don't know if your Tom Tom systems are the same in the States, as they are over here (Europe) but we can download various things, like POI's, including road weight limits, low bridges, tunnels etc by using Tom Tom Home on the PC or Laptop! I don't know if you can set the device to avoid them, but it will tell you they are there!

Last edited: