Considering 3185RL purchase

hoeboe

My DW and I are close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 3185RL. We love the looks, the features, the floorplan, and the support around here looks great too!

I do have a few questions.

1) Our TV is a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab 4x2 auto with 5.9l CTD. payload is 3232lb and GCWR is 21000lbs. I've scaled the truck before with 1/2 tank of diesel, me, and my 100lb son came in at 6900lbs. Would you be happy with the combo?

2) The dealer wants to install the curt 16k hitch with slider. I have been looking around and the curt 20k is very highly regarded. Is it worth paying more for? I would also like to have a spray in bedliner to replace my drop in. When is the right time to do it? Before or after the hitch is installed? Would i even need the slider? I have a 6.25' bed.

3) The unit we're looking at is at a fantastic price- a lot of rig for the $. There are lots of little cosmetic warts- torn sofa (they'll swap it), lots of little nicks and scratches on cabinets, BR door doesnt latch, etc. I know it hasn't gone through PDI and they'll fix these, but is this normal?

Thanks for helping out a new member! We are experienced campers (this'll be #4) but this is 2X the cost of our last travel trailer!

-Hoeboe

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would be good with your current Dodge. As for the hitch I have a Curt 20K. You do not need a slider although many people feel the need to have one "just in case". Personal choice I guess. But I think that 16K is marginal.
Spray in liner before hitch install.
If you found cosmetic problems just make sure the dealer has them taken care of before you close the deal. Be sure that they swap out the sofa with an exact replacement. I don't know if that is normal but it does happen.
After you get your new rig consider joining the Heartland Owners Club and making some Heartland Chapter rallies. March 14th in Spring TX. Look HERE.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Hi Hoeboe,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I completely agree with Dave about all the subjects. And do a really good PDI, make sure everything operates and you can operate everything and check for leaks.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

hoeboe

Thanks for the feedback. We have changed our mind and are looking at an Elkridge 34TSRE at a different dealer. We know the finish is a little lower end, but we like the floorplan with the larger, more private bedroom (we camp with a 10 & 11 year old!). The unit we found is in pristine shape (i have my suspicion that the 3185 spent a hard weekend at an RV show!) The weight is approximately the same, so I think we should be ok.
Thanks again,
-Hoeboe

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey hoeboe,

Where are you in Texas? I can tell you we love our Elk Ridge!! I would recommend getting the 2nd AC, especially if camping in Texas. The Big Horn has more bells and whistles, more little "conveniences" (for example: bypass valves in the UDC), so be sure to take note of the differences, and make sure you are getting the most for your money. We bought our Elk Ridge at the Dallas show in March. We didn't have any obvious wear and tear from it being at the show except the carpet, which they cleaned.

TT

hoeboe

We live in Allen, just north of Dallas. 2nd A/C was tops on the "must-have" list. To be honest, we definately like the Bighorn features like the hydraulic slides and landing gear, the shocks in the suspension, upgraded finish- even the 12' fridge!...etc. But, we decided that the bigger (& more private!!!) bedroom and bath, extra space, and stackable w/d space was worth it (plus cheaper). I am embarassed to say i didnt notice the bypass valve difference in the UDC, and i pay attention to tht stuff! Dont tell me anything else! I won't miss what i don't know!

We did have the dealer add central vac and we are taking our LCD TV from our trade into the bedroom of this one.

Thanks for the comments!