2011 sd2800rl

ncc1701e

We are scheduled to pick up our first 5th wheeler next week. The unit is a SD2800RL. I'd be interested in any advice or suggestions from other Heartland owners, especially those who have a similar trailer. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 F250, 6.2L Gas, 4x4, Super Cab.

Have a great day.

Tom & Millie

LilGTO71

Congratulations............First and foremost, if possible, both of you need to attend your walkthru together. Take a camera or tape recorder. (You would be amazed how much you forget because you're so excited). Ask more questions than the law allows. And lastly, get out there as soon as possible and enjoy it.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Tom and Millie,

We are considering the SD 2800RL or the SD2900MK, what are the key reasons you decided on the SD2800RL and did you consider the SD2900MK? What is the main reason you decided on a Sundance. We like the product, but just wanted other to provide their input.

Jasmar

grizzlygiant

We had a larger Bighorn and loved it..except it was too hard to park in tight spots. We switched to our 2800RL Sundance and really like it; perfect for our Ram 2500 and it is easy to park in a tight spot. We lived in it full time for 9 months and will move back into it come spring for another nine months. The only thing I miss from the BH is the fireplace.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We are scheduled to pick up our first 5th wheeler next week. The unit is a SD2800RL. I'd be interested in any advice or suggestions from other Heartland owners, especially those who have a similar trailer. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 F250, 6.2L Gas, 4x4, Super Cab.

Have a great day.

Tom & Millie
I suggest you talk to Mike @ http://www.5startuning.com/. He owns a 6.2 and has perficted custom tunes for your truck. He made me 3 custom safe tunes for my 6.8, I use his ecomomy tow tune which increased my towing mpg by 12% and added tons of torque on the low end.
You will want to upgrade the tires on your new SD...Maxxis ST 10ply is a great choice for that rig.
Also the new Fords seem to like the suspendsion more level while towing, some owners have experianced a slight vibration with heavier pin weights/ pinion angles. (air bags helped alot)

Last edited:

ncc1701e

We did not start out looking for a Sundance. We were actually looking at a couple other competitors. On a recent stop in Cedar Rapids (Keletsen RV) we were looking at a couple other units. The Sundance 2800RL was sitting on the lot. We had already went back to the show room when I asked about the 2800RL. TO be honest, the Sundance dotted every "i" and crossed every "t" for what the wife and I had as items on our list for the trailer. If there was one draw back in my mind was that the Sundance is about 700 lbs heaver than the other units we were considering. After a night of discussion and searching the net for negatives, I could not find enough negative comments to offset the weight. I liked the comments I found about dealer and factory support. The unit itself was really impressive from the workmanship I could see and I even crawled underneath to look at the axles, plumbing, etc. Love the centerally located controls for water, cable, etc., and the interier is nicely laid out with a side isle bath & shower which was as the wife said "a deal breaker if it doesn't have one." We live in KY and have looked at trailers/brands from middle TN to Cedar Rapids. There are a lot of nice units. This one really seems to fit all our needs. Time will tell if we are right.

If I have any concerns at all they all are around the weight, my tow truck and loading. I've got a 2011 F250, 4x4, Super Cab, 6.2L Gas for a town vehicle. When the unit drops on the truck for the first time Thursday after the installation of the fifth wheel we will see if Ford's numbers are right.

ncc1701e

Thanks for the information and suggestions on tires, air bags, etc. I will keep all that in mind when I see how the trailer loads the truck come Thursday when we pick up the unit. I had already decided that if I didn't like the bed drop air bags would go on before leaving the dealer.

Thanks again.

Tom

jimtoo

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you go for pickup, be sure you do a really good PDI. Check everything from top to bottom and make sure you know how to operate everything. The air bags can be added at any time.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

ncc1701e

Jim,

Thanks for the advice, I have spoken several times with the dealer/sales person and even the shop forman. They all understand I think that I'm planning in spending the entire day in their shop touching everything possible. I called them today and told them they would have to flush the system of anti-freeze while I was there to pressure test the water and then re-intall before I hit the road. In looking at the web, I think the only real consistant flaw I've seen with the Sundance was owners who found water leaks. They were not necessarily happy, but I haven't given them any money yet either.