Help Newbee 5ver potential owner of Sundance 2800RL or 2900MK: 2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500HD DA

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
We have had a pull trailer for years and pretty much understanding the limitation of our truck with a Pull Trailer. But I am new to a 5ver and have my concerns. Any assitance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We in the process of working on buying a 2900MK or 2800RL Sundance.

I would like some input from current owners of a 2900MK or the 2800RL who tow with a 2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500HD D/A. I would like to know if my truck weight capacity is adequate for the two trailers. Specifically:

1. Will the truck handle the pin weight of 1900K? What are the weight limits of my tow vehicle relative to a 5ver?
2. Did you need to add Air Bags and if so what brand?
3. What brand hitch did you install, I have looked at Reese Signiture Series w/ rails under bed? What would you recommend and why? Should I get a slider hitch?
4. Any answers to questions I have not asked that you feel are relavant?

Thanks ahead of time for your input

JASMAR (Tom)

jimtoo

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get opinions both for and against your truck, it's just the nature of people. I think you will be fine with what you have and I would wait and see how the truck handles the trailer before putting air bags on..
The hitch is just a matter of choice. Do you want anything in the bed when not using the hitch?

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MC9

I pulled ours with our previous F-250 5.4 short bed. You have plenty of truck. I now have the V-10, not because I couldn't pull with the old truck.You didn't say which bed you have. Chevy beds tend to run a little short. Most with the 6.5 bed don't seem to need the sliding hitch. I do heartely recommend the Mor-Ryde pin box, takes most of the jerkiness out.

Rrloren

I had some "chucking" initially so I installed a set of Firestone airbags. Inflated to about 30-35 psi they took out the "chucking" for me.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I recommend Air bags on any pickup pulling a fifth wheel including duallies. The ride and handeling are greatly improved when towing or just have a heavy load in the bed. I run them on my dually as an RV transporter and wouldn't tow without them anymore. Firestone or Ride Rite, both good choices. I run the ride rite system with onboard compessor, single gauge and a switch in the cab myself.

Here's why I recommend them for every truck including duallies. When you add weight to the rear axle the springs compress and if you have overload springs you are either sitting on them or very close and everytime you hit a bump those overload springs slap you hard. When you air up the bags to get your loaded truck back to the normal ride height you have when empty, you get back that smooth ride and your front suspension alignment is back where it belongs instead of being out of whack when you are running nose in the air. It also gets your headlights back shining on the road instead of the trees.

The chebby 2500 Duramax Allison will pull it just fine. As far as weight and specs, I won't get into that argument. I'll leave that to the forum weight police.:angel:

Slider hitch, I can't help you there, I don't have that problem with a long bed and never had one.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have in bed rails on my truck. They don't get in the way when I'm hauling lumber or other goods. On the occasions I've had to load something large and heavy, I just lay three 2x4's down the length of the bed and put some shims under them to level them to the height of the rails. But, if you're going to haul loose sand or gravel, then they may get in the way.

I've got Timbrens on my truck. Rides fine.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new Sundance. we had a Sundance which we pulled with a Dodge 2500 Diesel for 3 years before getting the 3500 last year. During that time we had traded the Sundance for a Big Country and the 2500 didn't have any problems pulling the larger rig. We did not modify the truck at all or have a slider hitch installed, and currently is still using the standard 16K Reese that we got 7 years ago. We have been in some pretty tight spots without any problems. If you are careful and watch what you are doing and don't want to spend the extra $$$, you can get by with a standard hitch (remember that there are a bunch of people who just love the sliders but I haven't found that I really needed one). Enjoy your new "condo on wheels" and travel safely.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
The Sundance 2900MK (GVWR: 13,930, DRY: 9,020) it has 6000 lb Axles, now I am confused, can some explain what 6000 axles means relative to the GVWR? Does it mean it can carry 6000 lbs each ax;e for a total of 12,000 pounds and since the hitch weight is 1930, and given only 12,000 lbs sit on the wheels, the 6000 axles are adequate? If so should we not have 7000 axles to safety margin. Help....confusion is setting in or I am getting old :)

JASMAR (Tom)

hoefler

You are expected to carry 20%-25% of your load on the tow vehicle. While you have 6K axles, you should have 2,786-3,483 pounds of the GVWR 13,930 on the truck leaving 11,144-10,449 on the axles. Well within the capacity of the axles.

Last edited:

MC9

I have the optional 6k axles and 235 80 16 (3520 #) tires. Loaded for our 6 mo. in AZ. the CAT scales read 9060# on the trailer axles. The sticker on the 5er reads a combination of the factory 5200# axles and the bigger tires. That's right, didn't mean squat. But obviously, there is no way you can get anywhere near the listed max load.

caissiel

I pulled a 12000GVW, 2000Lbs pin weight, 5th wheel trailer 9 years with a 2500GM standard box and it was the only truck at the time that I could pull my RV with the short box. GM axles are further from the rear of the cab then Ford or Dodge. I felt that the GM had better load carrying capacity then my present Ford and drove much better loaded without any suspension improvement. I have a Long wheel Base Ford because the Ford Short Box did not do it with the previous trailer.

buckeyebob

my 07 chevy d/a cc shortbed,single axle,curt 20k hitch ,non slider does fine ,however my hitch is as high as it can go to allow proper bed rail clearance.the newer chevys have a higher bed,so i would recomend a proper hitch install/purchase from a dealer who actually knows what they are doing.havent needed slider yet,my curt 20k hooks up easy no chucking,its chinese though,800$ installed.i would recomend air bags i just havent gotten them yet as i only pull 3-4 times a year( due to stupid work limitations!!!!) i love my 09 2900mk , buckeyebob

grizzlygiant

I pull my 2800RL with a Ram 2500, no slider. We have taken it across the USA 5 times in the last 18 mos with no problems what-so-ever. The camper is a perfect match for the truck. I use Timbrens instead of airbags; less expensive, absolutely no fuss while traveling; easy to install.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Again we need your experience and knowledge on the 2800RL or 2900MK:
1.What are some of the minor and major problems you have had with the Units, ie has there been any problems with electrical, water systems, or axles/hubs.

2. Do you still repack the bearing once a year or two, or do you just use the EZ Lube, assuming the seals are not blow out in the back.

3. Are there things in the interior that concern you, anything looks like it is wearing quickly, location and mounting of things that seem to get in the way or are not practical.

4. Any input or comments regarding these units would be greatly appreciated, before we decide on which one.

Jasmar (Tom)

MC9

Tom, except that it is not a Landmark there are no minuses to our 2900MK. However, there are things you can do to make it fit you. I made quite a few modifications (I probably would do the same to a Landmark). I raised the bottom drawer in the pantry for a good sized trash can. I made new drawers to a full 24in. The cabinet under the entertainment center now has a sliding tray to hold the wireless printer/copier and modem/router. Sliding trays under the range and sinks. Towel bars in the commode room. Built in clock in the upper cabinet above TV. Brackets to hold the sink covers. Electrical outlets on the end of the sink peninsula and the side of the salt and pepper cabinet. Shelves in the doorway coat closet(snack cabinet) Wet bolts in the suspension. Raised bar in front storage to accomodate 12/120 freezer. Replaced 12V battery with 2 - 6V golf cart batteries. Added powered rear stabilizer and built J T style stabilizers. Just put film on all the windows. I'm gonna take a nap now. JIM

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
You can check my signature and find that I am pulling a 3200ES Sundance with a 6.0 F250. I have the reese 1600K with manual slider but I have never used it. I did install Airlift 5000 airbags and it has improved performance. I also have the 6K axles with 16" tires. I have no problem pulling here in Tennessee with the mountains.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
my 07 chevy d/a cc shortbed,single axle,curt 20k hitch ,non slider does fine ,however my hitch is as high as it can go to allow proper bed rail clearance.the newer chevys have a higher bed,so i would recomend a proper hitch install/purchase from a dealer who actually knows what they are doing.havent needed slider yet,my curt 20k hooks up easy no chucking,its chinese though,800$ installed.i would recomend air bags i just havent gotten them yet as i only pull 3-4 times a year( due to stupid work limitations!!!!) i love my 09 2900mk , buckeyebob

Thanks for the Input:
1. I think we have decided on the 2900 mk, mainly because of the middle door and the extra room in the leaving area, provided by the kitchen slide. The main thing going for the 2800RL was the Semi "Jack and Jill Bath", but the negative was the door in the back next to the rear living.

2. I think I am going with the Curt 20K (does not cost much more than the 16K). (Slider is not needed for this trailer under normal towing and turns, but never know about those really tight spot, that you never want to get in, but do, but I will make this the last decision decision at this time)

3. Question, I have include Bob's post as a quote, mainly to get a specific answer from 2007 -2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD or 3500HD, which do have higher bedsides, how many can actually adjust the hitch to get 6 inches of clearing from the 5ver and the Bed rails? If so what hitch are you using and what is the height adjustment limits on the head: ie 12 to 17 inches or 17 to 21 inches? Then I did something dangerous, I started thinking, would the not the slide bars add an additional 2.5 inches or so of height? :):):)

Please help this tired, I have been thinking, eating, and worse of all dreaming about what trailer, what 5ver, what hitch....etc.....:)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jas, you will be just fine with your TV and the Sundance. GO TO BED..............DREAM ABOUT CAMPING.......YOUR WEARING YOURSELF OUT WITH WORRY. The height difference from the classic body style to the new body style is 1 1/2"....let me repeat that...1 1/2". The hitch can be adjusted and so can the pinbox. NITE..NITE...GET A CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE...AND SLEEP TIGHT.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Bob or Patty,

Thanks for the input, I have gotten over my stress:) But it is fun stress:).....I had hot chocolate and a good nite sleep......

JASMAR (TOM)

Last edited:

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Lorraine and I have made the final decision to purchase the Sundance 2800RL. Main reason was the Semi Jack and Jill bathroom and having a door to separate the Bedroom. Though we also like the 2900ML, but did not want to give up the Bathroom of the 2800.

We are having the Curt Q5 20K hitch installed this Friday and based on many on the forum, I am not getting the slider.

Hopefully we will take delivery of the unit by first part of next week. But in the meanwhile I have been thinking: But Bob or Patty, I am now relaxed and patiently waiting for the new unit and thinking. Here are my questions or thoughts: :)

1. Hopefully other 2800 owners will provide me with some pros and cons they have discovered in their units.
2. Also any hints on modifications or installing fan over the bed. Considering going with the Maxaire Fan, the one that bolts to the side of the existing vent, worked well in our Nash 22H.
3. First thing I will get is a vent cover for the Bathroom vent.
4. Consider a Tripod or get the cross braces for the landing jacks....any recommendations
5. Either get a 50AMP to 30 AMP cable or a adaptor for the 50AMP cord to allow plugging into my house 15 circuit, any recommendations
6. We had a house water filter mounted to the outside of our Nash, with a bracket that you remove with filter when traveling, has anyone mount a house filter in your 5ver and where?
7. Does any 2800RL owner know where the antenna booster is and also if the 2800 has a 12V outlet? I heard they do not have the 12v, but with all the pictures I took, I did not see an antenna booster, hum?
8. What is the Lug nut torque, my experience is that for the first 2000 plus miles, at least one lug nut comes loose.
9. With the EZ lube, how often do you lube them and how often would you recommend a complete repack?
10. There is a switch cal "aisle light", what is that for.
11. When hitch a 5ver, how do you know you have the King Pin high enough and the reverse when you unhitch?
12. Given what other have said about 5ver clearance on the Curt 20K, I am going to have the installer adjust it to the highest high. When I take delivery of the 5ver, the dealership will make any final adjustments to match up with the 5ver, any recommendation here?

Okay I think I asked every question I could think of. Can anyone remember question they have and the answers they got their 5ver:)

Again thanks ahead of time for your help.

Tom (JASMAR)