Brake lock-up

BruteForce

On Saturday, I was finally able to push enough snow around to clear a path for my 5th wheel. The furnace wasn't working and I need it functional for a mid-December camping/ATV'ing trip.

While pulling out of the driveway (slight downhill), I noticed my brakes seemed to be grabbing pretty hard, because I wasn't rolling freely downhill. At the time, I didn't think much of it.

The rig was empty, but it sure towed like it was very heavy.

I dropped the 5th wheel off for service and went back home.

Upon getting home, I noticed tire marks from what appears to be a single tire (hopefully) on the right side all the way down my driveway.

The dealer was closed by 1pm, so I couldn't phone them to have it inspected. This is the 2nd time I've had a brake issue.

What causes this? Is this covered by warranty? How about if the tire has a flat spot?

:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
James, the cause could be one of a couple of things. If your brakes were adjusted a little too tight, during storage the brake drum may have rusted enough to make that wheel tight or the magnet may be stuck to the drum. You may have a bad bearing. Or, did you check to see if the breakaway switch was not activated. It may have locked up on one wheel but not the others.
As for warranty you will have to check with the dealer. Heartland has a one year warranty but some items have two years. I believe the frame is two years. I think the axles and frame are Lippert so I would verify that and maybe give them a call depending on what your dealer finds,
Let us know what the outcome is. May help someone else down the road.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
James, mine does the same thing when it sits for long periods of time. It's worse when there is lots of moisture. As Dave said, it's the drums getting rusty. If mine is doing it, I apply the manual brake a few times with the power on (on the throttle), after a few stops it should go away.