Picking up our New 5'ver today!

yepuhuh

We are going from a single slide 28 foot travel trailer to a BIG HORN 3585. Had the Curt 20k Slider hitch installed yesterday.OMG. All the extra steel under the truck bed!

We thought long and hard and looked at a number of 5vers. To us we got a fantastic deal, generous tradein allotment and we didn't finance much after our down payment.

I have about 5-7 years to go before I can retire but I do have the luxury of traveling around and working from my camper with sufficient DSL speed internet connection.
And it has a satelitte on top that automatically finds the signal, but I will have to find out more about that and which company to go with.

Attachments

• 2010-12-08_15-12-33_906.jpg
    2010-12-08_15-12-33_906.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2010-12-08_14-25-46_730.jpg
    2010-12-08_14-25-46_730.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2010-12-08_14-26-25_65.jpg
    2010-12-08_14-26-25_65.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 2010-12-10_16-47-29_691.jpg
    2010-12-10_16-47-29_691.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi yepuhuh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Glad you can travel and enjoy your new unit. Be sure and do a really good PDI when you go for delivery.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Reyllock

Congratulations, we are taking delivery of our 3585 RL on Dec 15, Being shipped to UK. I've picked up some great tips and advice in these forums, so don't be a stranger and look forward to hearing how it's going!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new 5're. You will absolutely love the difference between the travel trailer to the BH. Enjoy and travel safely.

yepuhuh

Thanks everyone.
I actually picked it up today and man what a difference it is to pull this mammoth!

My Dodge quad cab diesel pulled it real good. In overdrive nonetheless. 65 to 70.

Don't know that will always be the case, but it seemed to pull real good.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yepper, thats our Elk Ridge's nickname, the Mammoth. She's huge compared to our first trailer, a 21FBS North Trail.

yepuhuh

We really like this 5'ver a lot.
We've run into a few things I feel the dealer didn't do such a good job on checking out before we took delivery so now we have to send it back to them to take care of things.
While minor fixes, nonetheless , it probably should have been caught before delivery.

1. Tv lower right corner in salon is cracked. Looks like it was dropped on that corner. 42 inch Sharp HD flat screen.
2. Surround sytem has the left front and center along with sub woofer woking the rest do not work....
3. Ice make doesn't work.
4. Water test revealed that sink in bath and shower in bath did not allow water to come ut under 70 lbs of water pressure. Kitchen faucet worked just fine.
found trash in lines at restrictor discs . Once removed that they worked perfectly.
5. Light lense missing in basement light.
6. Vacuum plat in kitchen cracked and inoperable.

As you can see just a few things, to get taken care of.

Other than this we love it so far.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The should be a cutoff in the basement for the water line to the ice maker. It is probably shut off. No water to ice maker no ice. 70 psi is too much pressure for the water lines. I believe they are tested to 60 psi. They could rupture at 70 psi. Check for a kinked water line or blocked faucet strainer. Check the setting on the surround sound. It is possible the speakers that are not working are not turned on. Look at the menu for access to the settings.

2010augusta

The ice maker needs to be plugged in and there is a ball valve "some where" that needs to be opened. Had to take the basement wall down to get to the valve in the Augusta. took a while to figure that one out.

yepuhuh

Great ideas...The water is getting to the solenoid for the ice maker. I believe the solenoid is not working that allows the water to go up to the ice maker.

For the surround system... I used a AAA battery to test those out from the wires behind the dvr/dvd player and no sound was emitted at al. Old trick that will make a scratching sound and the voltage is not enough to harm the speaker.

Now if i could find the sub woofer...I think itis behind the fireplace.

Let me know what you guys may have gone through as well so I can keep my eye open.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, do you have the wire in the icemaker in the correct position? You can turn the icemaker off at the icemaker if the ice cube tray full wire is in the off position.

Peace
Dave

back2nature

Congrats! I can understand your enthusiasm, as we just got our 3670RL last month. We did an upgrade from a truck-camper we had 25 years ago. Big difference. These BigHorns sure are big, aren't they? Our "fix-its" were so minor, we took care of them ourselves. Like the TV wiring to sound system and cable was totally screwed up. Didn't even match the schematic on the UDC door. All you need is one sharp sonny-boy to come over and spend a couple of hours re-routing everything and it works just fine now. It was all there, just needed some fine-tuning. That's what we all have to do sometimes.

I know you'll have fun in it and love it. We do.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Now if i could find the sub woofer...I think itis behind the fireplace.

Let me know what you guys may have gone through as well so I can keep my eye open.

Yep, the sub woofer is behind the FP. I had mine out to run an extra satellite feed for the DVR. Just carefully remove the FP facia and there are four screws holding the FP in position.
The only things I found wrong on our 3585RL were one loose screw on a cabinet door and one loose wire crimp for the kitchen lights at the switch.
We only have about 4,000 miles on it, but will add another couple thousand when we drag it down to Texas in about two weeks.
We love ours and hope you will love yours as well.

Peace
Dave