Cycling hydraulics during extended stays

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Proud owner of a 2011 BH 3670, we are full timing and will winter in TX where the unit won't be moved for 5 months or so. A friend in the park with an identical unit (2008) said he had been told to cycle all the hydraulics every couple of months when parked to keep the seals properly lubricated. Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess ignorance is bliss for me. I've never heard that suggestion nor have we ever cycled our slides to lube the seals. Maybe I shouldn't have made that statement. I'll probably blow a seal when we head north in February.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've had our rig on a seasonal site for the last two summer seasons, sitting from early May until mid/late September with the slides extended the whole time. Hasn't been a problem. The slide seals get a treatment of CRC Silicone early in the season, and that's about it.

caissiel

I had a trailer for 15 years and never cycled the hydraulics and never had any oil lost on the system.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If nothing else it would help to clean off the tops of the slides when you closed then reopened them.

lwmcguir

Cycling slides is a wast of energy and wear and tear on the equipment. Couldn't serve any possible purpose other than wearing out your pump/slides quicker.

lwmcguir

Proud owner of a 2011 BH 3670, we are full timing and will winter in TX where the unit won't be moved for 5 months or so. A friend in the park with an identical unit (2008) said he had been told to cycle all the hydraulics every couple of months when parked to keep the seals properly lubricated. Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

The seals are only going to get lubricated if you get up there and spray them. Now, that is a good thing to do a couple of times a year if the unit is sitting outside. Don't be cheap with the spray either.

noobee

Cycling slides is a wast of energy and wear and tear on the equipment. Couldn't serve any possible purpose other than wearing out your pump/slides quicker.

This quote is from the Lippert manual: "Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance free, actuate the
room once or twice a month to keep the seals and internal moving parts
lubricated."

What say thee now!

CS

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This quote is from the Lippert manual: "Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance free, actuate the
lubricated."

What say thee now!

CS

Does that mean you have to run out to the storage yard in the middle of winter and do that too? Sounds like Corporate CYA, to me.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
lubricated."

What say thee now!

CS
I say, there ya have it! Straight from the horses manual. I think I'll continue to do as I have for the last 4 years. Close em when I leave and open em when we get to where we're goin.

lwmcguir

How does Lippert think they are going to get lubricated unless you get up there and do it? I think they want to sell you repairs and part.

lwmcguir

We have had SOB for years and opened the slides as most folks do when you need to and close them when you are moving or ready for storage. Never a problem with slides and only sprayed them once per year. Apparently the Lippert's are much cheaper made and require tender loving care.

Willym

I thought we were referring to the seals in the hydraulics, not the room seals. Am I wrong?

I agree with you, they are talking about the mechanical aspect of the slides.

The Lippert manual also gives guidance on long term storage, and makes no mention of routine operation during such periods. My recommendation - use your trailer at least once per year!

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Yes, I was referring to the seals on the hydraulic cylinders when I made the original post. The weather seals for the slide outs are a complete seperate issue.

lwmcguir

Do any of you thing farmers and ranchers go out and hook up to all their equipment and activate the hydraulic cylinders during the off season? Same type hydraulic cylinders on the coaches, just smaller. With the cylinders protected from the elements there is absolutely no need to cycle them. I would like to hear from some one at Lippert or the factory stating otherwise.

artsbighorn

by running the slides in & out you are also cleaning & oiling the cylinder rod.the rod should be wiped off first if it has been out a long time to clean any dust that may be on it.in moving the slides in & out you are also oiling the rods.this helps to keep them from getting rusted or rust pitted .the dirt on the rod can scratch the oil seal & cause it to leak.