Dual pane windows

ChopperBill

Big cold spell down here in AZ. Going trough propane like poop through a goose!. We discovered if you leave the day/night shades down the furnace runs a lot less and is more comfortable in the coach. When the furnace is running it is quite pleasant but the second it shuts off it gets cold. The dual pane windows are not doing what I thought they would.

billd

What are the winds like in your area, speed wise. In So Cal we are having a high wind warning not to travel with high profile vehicles.

Bill

tdharley

If it gets real bad we found that they make an insulating cover for the power roof ventilators. You lose most of your heat through the ceiling. You have 3 14"x14" holes in the ceiling, plus the skylight in the bathroom.

Also make sure exchange air vent on the AC unit is closed.

If it gets really bad pull in the slides, very little insulation in the floor & ceiling, plus who knows how good the seals are.

Home Depot for electric heaters

You could always hope for snow it is a great insulator, think about an igloo.

Unfortunately there is no thermal brake in the windows. Its a double edge sword, radiant cold from the aluminum frame or loss of heat from the sun when the shades are closed. ****ed if you do or ****ed if you dont.

Good Luck

Last edited:

happyrover

Bill, what do you think it may be like without the dual pane windows? Would you still consider them an asset? Just want to know if they are worth ordering on my Landmark!

GARTH

ChopperBill:
You might want to consider getting a Mr. Buddy propane heater to use in your coach. We just came back from a 3 week stay in Arizona and used our Mr. Buddy every day. Sure did keep the chill off and the regular heater didn't run nearly as much. Made a big difference on the propane tanks. We hooked the heater up to a 2 1/2 gallon tank. It lasted over 2 weeks. We didn't run it at night, just in the morning and evening to maintain the heat. Felt like our own personal fireplace. Good luck, keep warm!!!
Garth

jpmorgan37

Happy Rover;
I have the dual pane windows in our Grand Canyon, two A/C with heat pumps and the temp outside is about 27 now, and going down tonight. It is 73 inside now and I use two small 1500 watt heaters. So far this winter, I have used two tanks of propane. When the temperature is above 35, the heat pumps keep it as warm as we want. Below 35, the furnace runs. I would not be without the dual pane windows. As ChopperBill said, when the temperature drops, the day night shades make a big difference.

John

happyrover

John, thanks for the info on your Grand Canyon as that is the unit we intend to order when our house sells. We are also ordering 2 a/c units with heat pumps plus fireplace. Fact is, I think we are ordering everything in it except granite and washer/dryer combo. Just taking to long to sell this house and get on the road, but hope to see you out there soon. Mel

ChopperBill

I read on RV.net that dual pane windows have very little R value over single panes but I still feel comfortable having made the decision to order them. Has to be some what better than single panes. The fire place works great for taking the chill off but we are dry camping so the generator has to run for the fireplace. So I either have to pay for propane or gasoline. A catch 22!
The local RV supply house is selling cube heaters like they are going out of style so we are not the only ones with heat concerns.
What ever you do these RVs aren't going to be as efficient as your stick built house.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the dual pane and I think they help a lot. The first night of this cold spell we had a lot of condensation. I don't know if it was from excess humidity or what but after the first night things seem to have acclimated. No more condensation anywhere. We have foam blocks in all of the ceiling vents also.