New to site and 5rs

Brett2413

My wife and I have owned a few campers in the past but never a 5vr. We ordered a 277xlt and should have it in a few days as they are just now coming off the assembly line.
I have down loaded a PDI list and have tried to read as much as possible, but I like to learn from those that have been there. Is there any small item that seems to come up in all new 5vrs that most miss and what might I look for? Thanks in advance.

jimtoo

Hi Brett2413,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Don't know of any one particular thing, but just take your time and check from top to bottom. Including having it hooked to city water and water in the tank also.. I don't think you will ever catch every little thing, but at least give it a try. I know you will get more advice also.

Then take your new Sundance and make lots of great memories camping.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While doing the PDI and with it hooked to city water, run the inside shower all around the enclosure, particularly along the edges of the glass walls. Then look for leaks on the outside of the shower wall. Run water into the sinks and then run your hands over the plumbing underneath to check for leaks.

Don't be afraid to have them remove the basement wall(s), so you can inspect back there for any problems. Look around the water pump (run from the tank) for any leaks.

If your dealer is worth their salt, they should have already done a full check out before you show up and be more than willing to spend as much time as you want to go over everything again, including hitching and unhitching the trailer.

Sailor

When we picked up our 5er the dealed had us spend the night in the 5er at the dealer ship. Then fixed some more things that we missed the first day. Also went through some of the systems I had questions on again. Good luck and have fun!

Buford445

One thing I learned on this Forum is to make sure the BRAKES are adjusted properly BEFORE YOU LEAVE WITH IT (I have a story about that)

Brett2413

We have it, our new condo on wheels came in and we picked it up on Mon. the 27th and by that Wed. we were out in the middle of no where for a 4 day dry camp shake down. Everything went great and we didn't have any issues with the camper (other than our fault). We forgot the camera so pics will have to wait for now. I love the way this thing tows!!!!!
Thanks for everyones advice on PDI.
Buford445, I to have a story about new camper and misadjusted brakes.

Buford445

We have it, our new condo on wheels came in and we picked it up on Mon. the 27th and by that Wed. we were out in the middle of no where for a 4 day dry camp shake down. Everything went great and we didn't have any issues with the camper (other than our fault). We forgot the camera so pics will have to wait for now. I love the way this thing tows!!!!!
Thanks for everyones advice on PDI.
Buford445, I to have a story about new camper and misadjusted brakes.

WELL...........Let's Hear IT.........:)

Buford445

I figured you already read it.......But before I picked up mine from the dealer I called and ask if they would make sure the Brakes were adjusted properly and the Sales Lady said she Forgot to have it done so it cost them the price of a wheel bearing pack and axle seals. But what you want to hear is after I meet them and picked up the 5'r ( They kept it over night and Delivered it to me the next day ) I forgot to plug in the 5'r and got down the road a short distance and stopped to check and plug it in

Brett2413

When we went to pick up our very first T.T. I had just installed a new controller on my truck, not thinking about the adjustments in the excitment of the moment I left the lot and headed for the hwy. Everything happened in the blink of an eye, our dog put his front feet on the center consol where he can see out the front my wife took a sip of soda from a cup the dealer had given her and I tapped the brakes to yeild to traffic. The controller was set to max and high sensitivity, trailer brakes locked up through the dog into the dash and my wife, she lost her drink in her lap. The dog hit the dash so hard it split it's lip and started bleeding on my wife who is now yelling at me (something I can't repeat) and I'm doing my best to get control of the truck and trailer. Big mess, big big mess.

Buford445

BAWHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha That's Way to Funny, I just about covered my Laptop with Coffee LOL

caissiel

I always take full responsibility of all settings and for the last 17 years never had that happen to me. If I leave the lot with something new I will check the lights, brakes and weight feeling of the trailer. You need to learn every load you put on your truck. Braking is different for all loads I put in my truck, and its not with a trailer in tow all the time. I do have a utility trailer that is loaded with all kinds of different loads and I check the brakes everytime I take off.

Brett2413

I always take full responsibility of all settings and for the last 17 years never had that happen to me. If I leave the lot with something new I will check the lights, brakes and weight feeling of the trailer. You need to learn every load you put on your truck. Braking is different for all loads I put in my truck, and its not with a trailer in tow all the time. I do have a utility trailer that is loaded with all kinds of different loads and I check the brakes everytime I take off.
Trust me, I check everything now, and then my wife double checks before she gets in.