California class a non commercial license

funntheson

I guess I haven't been doing my homework. What can you guys tell me about this special license designation that applies to all fifth wheels with a GVWR of 15,000 or greater?

Has anybody been through this process?

Do other states have similar designations?

danemayer

Texas also offers a Class A non-commercial license. In Texas, the requirements to get the license are the same as for the commercial Class A, except for the cost. Non-commerical saves $36 over a 6 year license period if I remember correctly. For $6/year difference, I went with the commercial version.

There's quite a bit of confusion about what's required, including at the TX DPS. The documents are written in an ambiguous and confusing way that makes it seem that a combined gross weight RATING >26,000 requires a Class A (commercial or non-commercial) license. I asked at DPS and got several different answers - all of which said the law required more than a standard license. Interestingly, the actual Texas Statute clearly exempts RVs towed for personal use. But I don't expect that explaining the statute to a law officer would get me very far.

I noticed on the ChangingGears table that several states seem to require a Class A for larger/heavier rigs, including California.

I've also read many postings on this forum on this subject. The gist of them is that the only person actually getting stopped/ticketed for not having Class A license is "the friend of a friend I heard about" (implying that no one is actually getting stopped) - except maybe in California.

Btw, there's a guy in Austin who helps people get their Class A CDL for $1000, which includes using his truck for training and for the test. I used his service and noticed he had other students from out of state because of much higher costs in their home states. One of the guys was from California. He drove to Austin, stayed in a motel and practiced for a couple of days, passed the test and went home with the Texas license, which he used to obtain the California license. He said it was way easier and less expensive than doing it in California. http://austincdlservices.com/

wdk450

I have looked into this and posted about it before. I asked at an Escapees local chapter meeting, and all of the big 5er owners said they did not have it, and did not know anyone who did.
I asked CHP and DMV reps about it several years ago at an RV expo at which they had an exhibitors tent. Specifically I asked about getting to the test site LEGALLY. I was told that I could not drive the rig to the test legally with my Class C license. I contacted a local RV driving school about taking me to the test, and they would not do this. I contacted a local RV transporter about the same service by e-mail and never got a reply.
This looks like a "Catch 22" to me. If I go myself to get the proper license, I could be cited (or have my rig impounded) for getting there illegally.

danemayer

You need someone with a Class A license to drive your rig to the test site.

Many years ago, I went for a motorcylce endorsement. The first thing the examiner did was feel the engine. If it had been warm, he said he would not have given the test and would have instead issued a ticket for unlicensed driving. Fortunately, my friend and I brought it in the back of his van.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As far as I know from talking to the DMV....the weight for the class A license is 15001# and over. You will have to have someone with a class A license take the vehicle to DMV. Unless things have changed you have to get an adendum on your class C license to pull anything from 10K to 15K. 15K even is the break off.

The test is a 200 question test but a physical is not required. You will get a class A non-commercial license. Go to DMV and get the booklet for the class A license and study it...thats the test you will have to take.

The kicker to this is...when you go to DMV.......NO ONE will know what you are talking about. Kinda strange...don't ya think???