Replacing Refrigerator Drain Line

Dougstdig

My refrigerator drain line is so brittle...if you look at it parts of it will crack off. This is on an '09 3400RL.

While trying to splice the line I found that the tubing had cracked far enough up, I couldn't reach the area. I bought a vinyl hose of the same diameter and thought I could reach up from the exterior and attach it. Unfortunately, I couldn't even see where it connected to the refrigerator much less fit my hand up behind the unit.

What are my options???

This explains why I had water on my floor the last time I defrosted the unit...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same thing happen on my 2008 3400rl. But I caught it early and taped it with Rescue Tape. That seemed to prevent more deterioration. I also looked at replacing the hose and I came to the conclusion that I would have to pull the refer to change it. So I never did change the hose, just used the Rescue Tape.

Peace
Dave

HappyKayakers

You can also check this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/5791-Refrigerator-Condensation-Drain-Hose-Replacement

Wharton

We have a 2011 BH, less than a year old and the hose is brittle. The connection is in the middle of the back of the refrigerator so to replace the hose the entire refrigerator has to come out. Luckily we caught it early and put come clear vinyl hose on the end. After a discussion with some plumbers at HD we also painted the new vinyl hose to help with the uv problem(went to Michaels and bought some acrylic model paint).

I don't believe this poor quality and design. To need to take out the entire refrig to replace this is stupid. To have a piece of hose of such poor quality is unacceptable. In 6 previous RVs we have never had this problem before. Shame on Dometic and Shame on heartland for not having an access point for an easy replacement.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't believe this poor quality and design. To need to take out the entire refrig to replace this is stupid. To have a piece of hose of such poor quality is unacceptable. In 6 previous RVs we have never had this problem before. Shame on Dometic and Shame on heartland for not having an access point for an easy replacement.
I can agree with your comment towards Dometic. They should consider using materials less likely to deteriorate from UV exposure. Heartland isn't doing anything different than any other manufacturer building RV's. To put an access hole for a 50 cent piece of tubing is silly. How about a full panel access door similar to a basement storage door. This would allow full access for all maintenance functions. The down side is increased construction cost, more areas to maintain caulking, added weight to the rig (framing & hardware), etc. The logical solution is a better drain line.

Bobby A

I had the same problem on my coach it was only 6 month old at the time, Dometic wanted me to take the coach to a authorize service center, I asked if they could just ship me the part and I would install it and they declined !! The authorized dealer did agree it was silly for me to bring the coach in, they ordered it for me and I picked it up when it came in, haven't looked at it lately, its probably cracked again. Some people found material at home depot to replace it, but as you all have mentioned it a bear to get at. Dometic is terrible to deal with, there customer service is horrible.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When I first noticed my drain line getting brittle, I used aluminum flashing tape to cover a few inches of the exposed tubing. I have not had any problems since.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Well, even though we sell Rescue Tape, LOL!!...the perfect temporary fix...we finally had to replace our refer drain hose.

DH bought a heavy piece of plastic tubing, the same diameter as the other hose, and he as able to reach where it attaches to the refer by opening the upper vent behind the refrigerator...of course, this will only work if your refer is in a slide like ours. He said it was hard to do without burning his arm, so he had to turn the refer off for awhile and let cool off....

K

karykatz

Thank you to everyone for your input. I am getting with production, engineering and Dometic for a better solution.

Netem

Thanks Kary for listening to us. I know there is better hose because this is the first RV I've had this problem with.

traveler44

The same thing happened on our Bighorn that happened on our nearly new Coachmen so I thought they all did that. Both times I pulled the fridge out far enough to replace them with a piece of clear rubbery tubeing. Since then, somebody said that all you have to do is to pull the drain trap out into the fridge and remove the old tubeing and connect the new one to the trap and feed the new one back outside. If that works it will save you some time and work. Tom M.

Hoosier Wolverine

...... Since then, somebody said that all you have to do is to pull the drain trap out into the fridge and remove the old tubeing and connect the new one to the trap and feed the new one back outside. If that works it will save you some time and work. Tom M.

Can anyone out there elaborate on this. I intend to try to replace my tubing, and this looks like an easier method.

K

karykatz

To All,

Ses response below from Dometic. Hopefully this will help fix the issues.

In June 2010 we confirmed that the drain line we are using now meets all UV criteria. If you have a Dealer with a drain line problem have them contact our warranty department at 800-216-5115 with model, serial number, customer information and complete VIN number and we will take care of.

SmokeyBare

My Fridge comes out of the cabinet this week so I can change out the leaking cooling unit.

I will also be changing the drain line since mine has several breaks on it, It breaks at the least bit of movement.

I will post photos of the whole process.

traveler44

Hey Marv. How did you find out that the cooling unit was leaking? Do they do a pressure test for that? Just curious-- Can you keep us posted as to how you fix that? Tom M.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has been responded to by the factory and several others. It has also taken a turn to a repair job. So I have moved it to the appropriate Bighorn Appliances area.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

Hey Marv. How did you find out that the cooling unit was leaking? Do they do a pressure test for that? Just curious-- Can you keep us posted as to how you fix that? Tom M.

Tom: the discussion abot replacing the cooling unit has been merged to the original thread here:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/20171-Dometic-Fridge-cooling-unit-replacement