South Carolina Trip

curt717

Happy Campers
Hey Folks,

I am planning a trip to South Carolina, probably the Myrtle Beach area. Has anyone been there and if so I would apprectiate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Bonnie

cjhicks

If you want to stay near the Beach try Harbor Lakes, but if you dont mind a short drive to the beach then the place to stay is Willow Tree Campground in Longs, SC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
There's a couple of commercial campgrounds like Ocean Lakes or Pirateland but it all depends on the time of year when you visit there. I've been to Ocean Lakes in July and wouldn't go back. I do understand from a couple of friends that Myrtle Beach State Park is a nice place to stay.

currituck0209

My vote is for willow tree rv resort, its out in the country, but you can be to north myrtle beach in 30 minutes. Its a great park. One of the top 5 in the us.

davebennington

Willow Tree will spoil you when you go to any other park. Very nice place a little out of the way. Heartland owners have had 4 rallies there.

Dave

beasleyrl

If you want to stay near the beach, Lakewood, Pirateland, and Ocean lakes are the big 3 and sit almost side by side. MB Campground is also very nice on the North side. Some of the sites are pretty tight but if you have kids, there are lots of activities (in season) at all of these parks. The 1 big difference we notice is all of these EXCEPT MB Campground allow golf carts. MB CG doesn't and they are very proud of it. If you have a personally owned GC and you want to use it as a transient, your only option is Ocean Lakes.

dieselsweetheart

The price is right at the state park and it's a short walk to the beach. We stayed there in early Oct for $25 night and it was worth it. It was recommended to me by someone else who goes there every year.

caissiel

If you have discount Cards you could try Briarclift Resort in North Myrtle Beach. It on the oposite site of the beach on 17.

curt717

Happy Campers
Ok Team,
We will be departing from Detroit for the trip. As we will need to overnight once, probably twice I am going bonkers trying to find campsights that are close to our route and that can accomodate our Bighorn. Mapquest pretty much has us using 77 for the trip. This is our first time for the area and we haven't a clue what we are doing.

Thanks,
Bonnie

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
We like Huntington beach state park.Walking distance to the beach. A nice place to go see is Brook green gradens.

Dale

beasleyrl

Ok Team,
We will be departing from Detroit for the trip. As we will need to overnight once, probably twice I am going bonkers trying to find campsights that are close to our route and that can accomodate our Bighorn. Mapquest pretty much has us using 77 for the trip. This is our first time for the area and we haven't a clue what we are doing.

Thanks,
Bonnie

If you are going to stop once, the Wytheville, VA area looks to be slightly over half way from Detroit. We stopped at Ft. Chiswell RV Park this summer on the way back from the national rally. Easy in/out. No problem with our 40' Cyclone. Not a lot to do, but it is cheap, clean, and safe. It is also close enough to the highway that you don't feel like you are taking a trip in itself to find it. Woodalls indicates it is open year rorund. Here are the specifics from Woodalls:

<table width="296" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="font-weight: bold;" colspan="2">Fort Chiswell RV Park </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-weight: bold;"> Address:</td> <td> 312 Fort Chiswell Rd</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td> Max Meadows, VA 24360</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-weight: bold;"> Phone:</td> <td> (276) 637-6868</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-weight: bold;"> Lat, Lon:</td> <td> 36.94012, -80.94348</td></tr></tbody></table>

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Ok Team,
We will be departing from Detroit for the trip. Mapquest pretty much has us using 77 for the trip. This is our first time for the area and we haven't a clue what we are doing.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Can't help you on the camp grounds but can offer a bit of advice on the route.

Once you are in West Virginia take your time through the mountains and follow posted truck speed limits or slower on the curves and grades. Once south of Charlston WV it is a toll road, there are 3 tolls you'll be stopping for. They should be $3.25 each for a pickup with the Bighorn which is the rate for a motor home with a trailer..... If you're lucky, they'll only charge you $2.50 which is for a pickup with a trailer under 7'6" tall.

425 or 460 miles into your trip depending on how you go through Ohio at exit 45 on the WV turnpike in Beckley WV there is a HUGE travel plaza with plenty of car, RV and truck parking, food, gifts, fuel and a travel store. Good safe place to dry camp for the night. Remember that even though you can't plug in you can still run water, water heater and the furnace for a good overnight stay.

Once south of Beckley will be the toughest portion of mountain driving, pay attention and run the truck speed limits or slightly under and you'll be fine. There are 2 tunnels in the last few miles of I77 in WV one right at the WV/VA border... You'll actually enter the tunnel in WV and exit in VA.

I77 and I 81 run together though Wytheville, VA..... Going south on 77 stay in the right lane through this entire section and it will dump you onto I77 south when they split. When you return home you will need to be in the left lane for the exit at the merge of these 2 highways and the right lane for the split to stay on I77 North.

Once you get about 7 miles from the NC state line there is a steep and long mountain grade called "Fancy Gap" .... 6 mile downgrade at 5% IIRC ..... you gotta go up on the way back so watch your engine and trans temps on the way back..

Fancy Gap is one of those grades that is famous like Sandstone, Saluda and Mont Eagle on the east coast. These grades are famous for a reason.... Bad wrecks and bad fog.... so be carefull not to burn your brakes up here, drive this grade in the right gear so you barely need to use your brakes to maintain a safe speed.

Once past Fancy Gap the roads get much more user friendly to drive for the rest of the trip as you are pretty much done with the hardest part of the mountain drivng.

This isn't to scare you, just make you aware of the worst sections of the ride through the mountains if you've never been through here before. It's absolutly beatiful drive and I recommend you run it during daylight so you can see the beauty of the mountains and valleys.

Safe Travels. Mike

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Bonnie,
lots of good information on the cgs in MB.

Here is my 2 cents.

Pirateland , Ocean Lakes and Lakewood are the Big 3 out here. As it was pointed out watch out for the golf carts. All three are very busy.
http://www.pirateland.com/
http://www.oceanlakes.com/
http://www.lakewoodcampground.com/

Huntington Beach, located in Murrells Inlet is a beatiful state park. As Dale said, there are two trails that take you through the maritime forest and then the beach.
MB state park is in the middle of MB. It has it's own fishing pier. Both have a few sites that are full hook up.
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1020.aspx

Mytle Beach Travel Park is located in North MB very close to a Tanger Outlet mall. Not as big as the Big 3 in Mrytle Beach. It is on the ocean. When we cant get into Huntington (our personal favorite) and we want the ocean, there is where we go. We always get a back in site on the lake which gives you a huge site. The pull through sites are a little narrow.
http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/

Willow Tree is by far the nicest cg out there. It is rated by TL as 1 of the top 5 cgs in the US. The draw back is it is not on the ocean. They do have there own lake with a beach, pools etc. They are in Longs SC, about 20 minutes fromNorth MB. BTW, you will hard pressed finding a cg that has larger sites than WillowTree.
As Dave said, we have had 4 HL rallies here.
http://willowtreervr.com/

If you are coming down through Fancy Gap as Mike suggested, at the bottom of the hill is the town of Mt Airy in NC. Mayberry cg is located here and can be a nice place to stay overnite. We have had a NC/SC rally there this year. Very close to the interstate.
http://www.mayberrycampground.com/

There are other cgs in MB but I am not familiar with them.

Use this site to help you make your decision:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
We find it much more reliable than TL or woodall's.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've driven down to MB a number of times (without a trailer). Our route is US-23 (I-75 for you) down to the I-80/90 Ohio Turnpike, then onto I-77 on the southside of Cleveland. When you get to Akron, don't get on I-76 but watch the signs to pick up I-277, then reconnect with I-77. Follow I-77 all the way down to I-20 at Columbia, then I-20 towards Florence. Near Florence, I'll take I-95 north a short distance to pick up SC 327, then to US 76. Follow that almost to Marion and pick up US 576, which ties to US 501. I've heard horror stories about 501 in the summer, but have never had a problem during the off-season. If you're heading to North Myrtle Beach, SC 22 is a freeway and is a good route to take. Closer to MB, US 17 is good, but you're into some traffic.

The ride down I-77 is pretty, but the driver needs to stay focused on the road, or you'll end up in the scenery. Even in a passenger car, some of the downgrades can be a tad daunting if you're not watching your speed and traffic.

Beckley is a nice town and where we overnight, coming and going. I've passed by the plaza Mike mentioned, it is huge. If you haven't already, get yourself a city map of Myrtle Beach. Big help figuring out where you need/want to go.

Have a great trip.

BHEWITTJR

We just stayed Thanksgiving week at Lakewood and was very satisfied with them. They have very wide and long sites and close to the beech if that is something of importance to you. We have also been to Pirateland and liked it there also. The sites were not as big but they offer a section that has pull throughs with concrete pads. Pirateland is close to the beech also but with the temps the way they are now I don't know how much beech time you'll get. Have a great time and enjoy your vacation.