New owner of NT 30RLSS in South TX (also new to this forum)

Wayno

Didn't realize how much heat comes through the large windows. Great for the winter, but not in the summer. Any suggestions about window tinting, shades, etc.? South TX weather is very harsh on RVs.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wayno, Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. Some of us have used GILA window films to reduce the heat through the windows. I have used the Platinum on the large rear window and a couple others that usually get more exposure to the sun. HERE IS A LINK to the Gila website

jimtoo

Hi Wayno,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I never had anything put on the windows of my Bighorn,,, but thought about it...just never did it. I know a place in Corpus, and I'm sure there are others that put the tint on that has about a 50% heat blockage. I did have it on my PU and it seems to work.

Where did you purchase your North Trail? Local I hope so that you can get good service from Ben and his crew at ExploreUSA.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Wayno

Thanks Ray for the Link.....Will check it out. Have 3 large windows & 3 small. Don't know if I want to tackle this or not. May have to have it done by a tinter....Any advise on the static cling window tints?

Wayno

Got our TT at Exlore USA in Kyle. Taking it in Monday with a list of things to fix (nothing serious). We really like the crew there. We've only had this TT for a couple of weeks. I'll check with them about the window tinting also.... Thanks, Wayne

GOTTOYS

Window tinting isn't that hard. Watched a pro do it one day. One of his tricks was to lay the sheet up on the OUTSIDE and trim it to fit. Then he put the sheet on on the inside. Much easier to trim and you're not standing on your head trying to cut it. Use lots of water with a couple drops of dishsoap in a spray bottle to allow you to move it around. Take your time and keep it real wet. I've done several trucks etc. The more you do, the easier it gets. If you have small windows that you can pop out and do on a table that works good too....Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As Don says, it's not too difficult to install. I used the same technique of going outside to size up the piece then inside to install. I can't stress enough though that a clean window is a must. I used GILA's application spray. It seems to work better than the home brew and also available where the film is sold.

MC9

I just did my rig a couple of weeks ago with Gila films I got at Lowes. It really helps to take off the valances.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Found a snap on screen at Lowes. Works great and easy to install. You can snap it on and off. Any window.

Attachments

• DSC00246.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 19

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, how does it fit any window? Do you trim to size and add the snaps yourself? I need more info! Definitely can use these in the Texas heat.

TT

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, how does it fit any window? Do you trim to size and add the snaps yourself? I need more info! Definitely can use these in the Texas heat.

TT

It comes in a kit with the STICK ON snaps. The screen is then trimmed to size. It is a simple and quick thing to do. We have traveled with it on on rear window without any problems. It does eliminate all of the heat coming in the rear window and helps to keep the cold out too. Works great. We found it in the same isle as the window shades. The kit ran about $85.00 2nd photo is the snaps.

Attachments

• Screen snap.JPG
    Screen snap.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03710.JPG
    DSC03710.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 15