Unprececedented view of Virginia-class fast-attack nuclear submarine

Willym

Thanks. This article and photos bring back memories of my time working on nukes in refit. This one sure has some nice features and a bit more space than some of the old boats - I also worked on repairs to a diesel sub.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with Willym, I was at Sub Base New London (Rotten Groton) and on the Canopus AS34 during my sub related journey with the Navy. The new boats are amazing. In that link there was a picture of the I95 Bridge going over the Thames River. From the SubBase with good glasses, you could see the tender Simon Lake
where she used to be moored. I actually met my wife at the EM club at the Sub Base 42 years ago. Ahhh, memories.

Last edited:

Ernie & Lettie

Ray I was born in New London, lived in Waterford for a time, then moved to Groton, then to North Stonington. My two daughters still live in Groton. Remember going to work with my father on saturdays to the base and watching the Nautalis [spelling] come in. Last time we were there was july 2008, went to go on the Nautalis and when we got off and walking to back to the museum, a bell sounded and we asked what was going on, was told that the U.S.S. Dallas was coming home, What a beautiful sight. Watching it come into port .Later Ernie & Lettie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray I was born in New London, lived in Waterford for a time, then moved to Groton, then to North Stonington. My two daughters still live in Groton. Remember going to work with my father on saturdays to the base and watching the Nautalis [spelling] come in. Last time we were there was july 2008, went to go on the Nautilus and when we got off and walking to back to the museum, a bell sounded and we asked what was going on, was told that the U.S.S. Dallas was coming home, What a beautiful sight. Watching it come into port .Later Ernie & Lettie
We haven't been back to the area in a long time. We should go back just to see how things have changed over the years. Lin was born in Meriden and grew up in Old Lyme. Hmmm, maybe after the Goshen rally next summer. Time for a little road trip.