solar panel installation

I own a 2011 Edge M21 and am looking at putting two solar panels on the roof. That said I am interested in the load capacity of the roof and the location of framing.

It would also be good to know if the battery rack will handle the weight of two batteries.

camr

We had our dealer install two batteries in our M22, which I would guess has the same battery rack as the M21. Ours handles the two battery boxes just fine.
Cam

boatdoc

I have installed lot's of panels and have never worried about hitting the framing under the rubber roof and sheathing. I put the feet down in dicor self-leveling and screw them down with SS screws and then cover them with dicor. Traveled 1000's of miles this way and never had a problem. Don't know about your battery box.

RollingHome

Not to sound like a Know it All... But, putting the Cells on the roof forces you to park your unit in full sun facing south to use them properly. Do you really want to do that or loose most charging capabilities ? How about portable PV's on a ground frame, out from the trees facing south, with your RV unit in a provided spot ? Just a thought.

Roof mounting with a reduction in output versus a ground mounted system which will need to be stored when traveling.

I am currently considering different options.

Thanks for your input

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
This thread was moved out of ATF and to the Edge - Electrical Area because it has been answered by Forum Users.

Snakebite

I've installed more Solar panel arrays than I can count. Both at work on mountain top repeater sites and on MANY RVs. I purchased truck loads of used panels when they closed the HUGHE Carrizo Plains Solar generating facility in So Cal. I then resold them as an installed package on house boats and RVs. Got them dirt cheap and sold the arrays cheap. In my opinion, it is simply no issue as to whether to mount them FLAT on the roof, or use them in a portable way. It is true that you can get the most out of a Solar panel if you mount it so that it can always face the sun. In the early days of my RV installations, I went to great measures to do just that. I mounted the panels on a motor drive platform and installed a servo system to track the sun. It worked great... but what experience taught me was to just add one more panel, (or get the next larger size) and mount them the easy way.... FLAT. The power that you loose by not going to the trouble and pain of mounting them so that they can always face the sun, can EASILY be made up by just installing a larger panel or an extra panel.

Just put them up there, use sealant and screw them down to the roof as close to the place you will drop down as possible. I usually use a vent pipe or the refrigerator vent.... which ever is closest to the fuse panel, (or in some cases, the batteries). Use the largest wire that you can work with, to decrease the voltage drop. I've use #10 stranded in most RV installations. By mounting your panels this way, you never have to worry about or mess with them again... other than occasionally cleaning them off. Out of sight, out of mind, and if you make the right selections, your won't have any more dead batteries.

Snakebite

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Debiray, welcome to the forum. This is a great place for sharing information.
I cannot speak for the factory, but I believe installing something by drilling through the roof membrane would void the roof warranty if there was an issue in that area determined to be caused by that installation.
To be sure, give Heartland Customer Service a call.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Enjoy your new Bighorn.

Peace
Dave