Need Help Explaining Mobile Options

robnmo

Ok, I'm lost here and need some explanation. I've been watching this forum for awhile now, and try to stay up with technology but I'm totally LOST! I know what WiFi is (that's when that little fan thing in the bottom of the computer screen lights up green) and the aircard operates via cell towers, is there a thing called MiFi also? What is it?
When we get on the road next year we'll need about 3GB (according to Verizon estimate chart) but it says netbooks and notebooks, is this the same as a "laptop"? There seems to be GB's of information and I'm trying to fit it in a KB size brain, can someone put this in simple terms and just tell us what we need to look at that will work for us. I've searched and read the internet but the more I search and read it seems the more I get lost and a visit to the Verizon store wasn't much help. We'll need internet on the road and don't want to be totally dependent on Campground WiFi hotspots. I'm the only internet person, the DW does zero internet any help for a NON-tech person would be greatly appreciated.

Gaffer

MiFi is a Verizon product. You can read all about it on their website. Google the 3G store and give them a call. Sounds like you could benefit from a one on one conversation. I use a Verizon modem the plugs into the USB port on my laptop. It works great and has a much better antenna than my Verizon cell phone. I can get internet on occassin when I can't get a phone call.

danemayer

WIFI - wireless "broadband" or "high speed" connection to the internet. Many campgrounds offer WIFI but the few that I've visited have very slow and intermittent connections, probably due to the large number of people connecting and sharing the same bandwidth.
MIFI - also wireless, using the data portion of cell phone wireless connectivity. The MIFI device creates a personal wireless network with about a 30 foot radius. This allows multiple computers, smartphones, other devices, to connect to the internet. So if you have a laptop computer and your spouse has a smaller netbook computer, you can both connect to the internet at the same time. If you also have a smart phone, or a Kindle bookreader with WIFI capability, they can also share the MIFI internet connection. Different carriers offer different kinds of MIFI data plans. VirginMobile's offering uses the Sprint data network and offers a pay-as-you-go plan (unlimited data at $40/month with no contract). Pay-as-you-go means if you're not travelling, you don't have to pay, since you're not using the plan. Some of the others want $40/month with a 2 year contract, meaning you pay every month whether using it or not.

Verizon's estimated 3GB is their guess about how much data you'll be using in a given period of time, based on what you said you do on the internet. Reading email doesn't use a lot of data, unless you're viewing embedded pictures or video. Checking real-time weather maps can use quite a bit of data. Watching Youtube uses a lot of data.

I went with the VirginMobile MIFI (purchased at Walmart). So far it's been ok, but I can't say it's great. It's a 3G data connection (3rd generation). If you're in an area with good cell service, you'll probably have an acceptable data connection. But I was recently in a rural Texas location where cell service was spotty and 3G service was non-existent. It connected, but the data rate was like a bad dial-up connection. I doubt any of the carriers have good data connection in areas like that, so maybe that's as good as it gets. Many people will undoubtedly recommend Verizon or another MIFI as giving better connections, but for occasional travel, it would be very expensive.

SmokeyBare

Rob,

Reading another Thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/20193-Sprint-or-Verizon

Reading the comments made by AlexSian who once worked for the " 3-G Store ".

He states that Verizon is moving full speed ahead on their newest service, their 4-G system. Their own projection shows they should complete most all their service from 3-G to the faster 4-G system by 2013.

I know this isn't really answering your question very well. BUT... It looks like by the time your closer to hitting the road they will be well on their way to a very fast system. It also will have a good selection of choices for phones or USB devices that will allow you to connect to the Internet.

Basically you will need some device that will allow you to connect to the Internet. It could be a Phone that works also as a WiFi Hot Spot. It could be a USB plug in Device, connecting to your computer and through the device to the Internet. The USB Device can also be plugged into a Modem that will allow several others to connect through the device at the same time.

Good Luck in your research.

robnmo

Ok I guess what I'm asking, is with all this 3G, 4G, aircards, routers, MiFi, etc, We just need to be able to get hooked to the internet with some speed with a single computer, to pay bills, get email, some minor surfing for campgrounds and travel locations and news, and on rare occasions, maybe watch a quick music video, (but that would be rare) and I'm wondering if we need all this router, MiFi, etc that I see others talking about. The wife has internet on her phone, but solely because we HAD to buy a minimal package to get the phone she wanted, she never uses the internet portion of it. I'm really lost on this whole mobile internet, and don't really want to buy something that's way beyond what we need or will ever use. Thanks

danemayer

Sounds like for your planned usage, just about any of the available technology choices will get the job done. So maybe you just want a 3G or 4G device that plugs into the USB connector on your computer.

The remaining variables for your decision come down to how much data your plan provides, the coverage area, and price.

A 3GB/month data plan might be ok for what you've described. But look seriously at unlimited plans. Ask what happens if you go for a lower usage plan and want to change your mind later.

As to coverage, if you're going to be going to rural areas, you may be disappointed with whatever vendor you choose. While there are big differences in quality of coverage between vendors, I'm pretty sure they all have relatively poor coverage and lousy data rates in rural areas. If you're near a mid/large city, they'll probably all work fine for what you're doing. Most people think Verizon has the best coverage.

Monthly pricing is what's left over. If you're planning fulltime use or frequent trips, a 2 year contract would make sense. If you're planning 3 trips per year, a pay-as-you-go plan could save you $300+ per year.

GOTTOYS

Rob, don't feel alone on this. I just read all the posts and now have a small understanding about some of this. Computers just aren't my thing. Not much interest I guess or something for another generation. I can do e-mail, (no pictures please) and web surfing. That's about as far as I need to go...Don

robnmo

Rob, don't feel alone on this. I just read all the posts and now have a small understanding about some of this. Computers just aren't my thing. Not much interest I guess or something for another generation. I can do e-mail, (no pictures please) and web surfing. That's about as far as I need to go...Don

Same here, minor surfing to find places to go and see, read the news, email and pay bills, I'm good with that when it comes to the internet, got too many other things to do I guess. The wife won't get near the internet, says it has too much personal information and not enough personal interaction. She says a :) is no replacement for an actual warm smile.