Can't believe I did this.

larneal

Alright folks I need some advice. I have a 3385 BH, fireplace and TV in the small slide on the curb side. We've been loading the trailer for our trip to Florida and somehow a kitchen cabinet door was left open. This morning when I put the slide out it caught the door knob and broke the edge off the vertical surround on the slide. Silly me, I thought this was wood, looks like wood, but it seems to be a composite. Has anyone had to replace this wood looking stuff? If so, does it come in pieces or do I have to replace the whole thing? Or should I just take it to a repair shop? Wife not too happy with me right now.

Larry & Gail Neal
2009 3385RL Big Horn
2002 F250 7.3PS
Florida Bound

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
First off, I do not believe the doors are made of composite. They are real wood, or at least mine are. I broke a mirrored one last fall in the bedroom by catching it on the slide (stupid mistake). Fortunately, only the stile snapped and not the glass. I repaired it myself, but then I do woodworking as a hobby. If the break is clean, it can be repaired by gluing it back together. If you don't have the ability to do it, a cabinet shop should be able to do it for you.

View attachment 11324 View attachment 11325View attachment 11326

If it's really torn up, you should be able to order a whole door from Heartland to match your trim color.

OOOPS! MY BAD. I read your post and took it as the door that broke, not the fascia. That is not wood, as others have stated. You might be able to glue it back, if it's a clean break, but the joint might remain visible. Worth a try until you either get a new piece of fascia or the wife carries out her execution order.

Last edited:

larneal

Thanks for your reply but it was not the cabinet door that broke, it was the vertical wood looking surround on the slide.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The slide facia is molded foam. I see that you are in Indiana so maybe a call to the factory could get you a new slide facia. Maybe a road trip to pick it up.
Make the call and have your VIN handy.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

4ever

Sorry to hear what you did. Worst part is that your DW will never let your forget.

The trim around the slide is not wood. It is a compsit of sorts like a syrafoam. I would think either the repair shop or order ra replacement form Heartland.

Ted

GOTTOYS

I caught mine on a chair opening it. I'll never make that mistake again. A new one is around $75.00 plus freight. I glued mine back together using some spray glue for foam. Touching up the seam with colored putty and it won't hardly show. Knowing me I'll probably replace it sometime because it's not perfect....Don

caokgafamily

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing on a trip going to Florida. My problem was it bent stuff in the bottom tracks of the slide. I had to take some stuff apart, fix, then reallign the slide. It took all day to fix, Our cabinet doors now have rubber bands on the knobs.

Steve

Hoosier Wolverine

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing on a trip going to Florida. My problem was it bent stuff in the bottom tracks of the slide. I had to take some stuff apart, fix, then reallign the slide. It took all day to fix, Our cabinet doors now have rubber bands on the knobs.

Steve

I pretty much did the same thing Steve did, except I was fortunate enough to be in my driveway at the time...Damaged, and had to replace a piece of J-Wrap as well.

DMitch

Caught mine on a chair, called Heartland and they sent me a new one ASAP. If you can send them a picture. Your not alone!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Idea - Let the DW open and close the slide then the next time it happens you can blame her. (Paybacks are heck) LOL :)

ChopperBill

I made a "flap" out of aluminum furnace tape and wrote "check doors" on it and attached to the top screw on slide out switch cover plate, on our old trailer. Had to lift the flap to activate the switch. Always reminded us to check the doors. Kinda, sorta wish our new one would break all the ugly slide fascia's so I could justify getting some of the new "11.5" fascias on it. Dont have the safety warring on the new slide switch so you never know it could happen!
Oops! Forgot picture.
282994018.jpg

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I did close my bedroom slide onto a drawer down low that couldn't be easily seen. Bad design by Forest River, but it was my fault for not checking it. Happened about a year ago. Ruined my whole day,week and month! It crushed the stile next to the closet door. I can't believe it didn't break the mirrored closet door. Still haven't fixed it right. That trailer is going to be sold to make way for our new Bighorn 3670 which is on order.
You can bet I check everything before I leave now,so I like your reminder.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
To prevent this from happening in the future, bungee balls on the door knobs work well. We learned the hard way as most others have. fortunately, not on the Bighorn but on our previous rig, a Jayco.

wdk450

Steve:
I did this too, now I have a list of doors/cabinets to mini-bungee, and try to watch/listen to the slide process VERY carefully, not hesitating to stop mid slide travel to check on things.
BTW, I gave Heartland Service my VIN number and did NOT get the identical part. I got a similar piece with different mouldings. I thought that the shipping charges for returning a 8 foot long, 2 foot diameter mailing tube back to Elkhart would be costly.
I would suggest taking a photo of the broken part for a better chance of getting it right, and e-mailing that to Heartland.

caissiel

When we close or open the slides we do them one at a time and we both get involved, one pushes the button and the other is always at the slide watching.
With 4 slides there can be a problem at one everytime.
Lately we have had no problems. But at the begining we did have to reopen and closed slides due to forgeting or hitting something.
Its the slowest part of setting up and we realy don't mind.