Generator installation questions

I have a Honda 3000is generator. I want to install into the front of my BH 3400RL. It is prewired for a generator. I did notice that there is a galvanized junciton box labeled as a "Safe guard generator overcurrent protector". Does the generator hook to this box. I do have the controls inside my cabinet in the rig. I want to put it on a sliding platform, so I can slide it outside when in use. Sure would appreciate any words on this. Thanks
Richard of Idaho

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yes, that juntion box contains a circuit breaker for each leg of your 50 AMP service. It's where you would connect your generator. Don't know how you would adapt your Honda generator to work with the controls in the coach. The gen prep in your coach is intended for a built-in Onan RV generator, not a portable unit like the Honda. Also, your proposed arrangement would have the genny exhausting right under the bedroom.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I tried to run my 3000 in the front compartment with the door open it set off the carbon monoxide detector. also you would have problems with the exhaust. I ended up putting mine on a slide on the left under the bedroom slide never have a problem I just run a 30 amp cord with an adapter to the 50amp plug.

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Richard, Have you considered mounting your generator in the back of your pick-up??? We mounted our Honda 3000 on the passenger side, right behind the cab. The gen was bolted to the bed with aviation stainless self locking hardware - holes drilled where there was no interference from the frame, etc. The control panel of the generator faces the outside of the bed, about 8 inches inboard. This installation allows for complete access to each side of the gen for an annual inspection and normal maintenance (oil changes, etc.). The generator is covered with a grey plastic tub from Walmart, held own by elastic bungees when not in use. We purchased another 25 foot 30 amp heavy duty power cord to connect to our Bighorn 3055rl's original power cord. The advantages of this installation allow for AC power to be applied without disconnecting from the truck for short stops, and when disconnected, you can position your truck in a any position for noise/exhaust concerns. The set up works great. Take care, good luck with the mounting.

I think that is what I will have to do too, put it in the truck. My only concern is that I have one of those tool boxs in the bed, but I think that I can fit it in between the hitch and the box in the center. The generator stands about two inches proud of the bed so I can't put it on the side for fear the 5er will hit it making a turn. Thanks for the input, I sure am learning a lot on this site. Got to go shovel some snow now, talk later.
Richard

Stinger381

My Honda 3000 won't push my roof air on my Sundance. I think I'm going to switch to the two 2000 setup this summer ?

Stinger381

Nothing really ....I think I did have the TV on when I tried to start the AC the last time and it tripped the breaker on the Honda .....

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Keep your 3000 honda and get another one. They have a wiring kit where you put 2 of them together and get 50 amps out of it. I've got one and it works fine. Also have a gas system where you can feed both gen. From a large 6 gallon marine tank and it will run all night with no problem.

bobber

Kenny, What kind of generators are you running. We would like any information you can give. Where did you get your wiring kit and the gas system to feed both. We have Honda 3500 but were thinking about getting 2 smaller Honda 2000.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Bobber.... We run the (Honda) 2000i and 2000 companion in parallel and couldn't be happier. We have a 15k A/C and can run t.v. / microwave / water heater / frig / lights and all with no problem. Is nice to have only one running when not needing A/C for gas saving. Bought them on Amazon.com from Harbor sports and cycle in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Great customer service! Paid $1969.00 for both with parallel cable kit and battery jump cables. No tax / no shipping.
They are also only 47#s each, which makes them easy to handle.
Good Luck with your decision.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kenny, What kind of generators are you running. We would like any information you can give. Where did you get your wiring kit and the gas system to feed both. We have Honda 3500 but were thinking about getting 2 smaller Honda 2000.

I have two Kipor gennys. I built the extended run tank. Well I only put some things together with a bought 6 gallon boat tank. I bought two extra gas caps for the gennys and took the vent switch off. I then added a couple of marine quick disconnects, a T and some fuel line. So basically I just put the disconnect on the gas caps, ran some fuel line to the T then the T to the tank. Works real good.

Peace
Dave

I have been reading this thread and trying to think outside of the box and have a question for someone with a lot more experience than me (virtually everyone else) I just purchased a new bighorn friday and am waiting for the adapter plate that fits my truck for the fifth wheel plate. This is my first Rv and so I do not have any knowledge to go on. My question is this. I have a 7000 watt generator already. I know I have to change the muffler system to make it quieter and hopefully not have the engine be too loud after I change the muffler. The generator is 18 inches wide it is 23 inches tall and would stick above the bed if I try to mount it in the bed itself. I have seen storage platforms built that fit into the reciever hitch on the truck. Could I build one of those platforms and mount the generator to it. I dont have my fifth wheel yet so I cannot measure the distance from the back of the truck to the front of the fifth wheel. I do know that the fifth wheel has to be far enough from the truck not to hit the bed when you make a sharp turn. That would put it about 3 feet from the back of the truck. I only need aproximately 2 feet which would leave me one foot to play in. This seems like a good idea but I realize that a lot of good ideas are great theoretically but not so great in reality. I have not seen where anyone talks about doing this. Could someone tell me if it might work or why it definetly would not ?

Thank You
Thomas

Northern Virginia
You won't have enough clearance to mount it behind your truck. It probably will sit IN the bed of your truck against the cab. You'll have to check it hitched up to know for sure.

The biggest problem you will have is noise. I don't think you are going to be able to quiet your lawn mower engine generator down to an acceptable level. 7000 watts is a fairly big. Most of the quiet generators are 3500 watts and smaller. It may be time for an upgrade.

Good luck,
John

GOTTOYS

It will take a lot more than a bigger muffler to quiet a open frame type of generator. Much of the noise is made from other than the exhaust. It's been tried by many and doesn't work out very well. Do yourself and all the campers around you a favor and move up to a quiet generator...JMHO...Don

Thank you for your helpful reply. I believe where I made my mistake in trying to figure out if it would fit with out being able to measure it. Patience is a virtue and unfortuneatly it is not one of mine. Hopefully they will get the parts for my hitch this week and I can pick my unit up. I did not figure out the pivot point right and I believe you are correct it wont fit between the truck and the unit. I am hoping it will fit in the front of the bed next to the truck. I will find out when I get the unit home and measure. I believe both postings are correct about noise. Everything I have read makes me believe that i will not be able to quiet it down enough to not disturb other campers. It was never my intent to use it where other people are camping. I will usually be camping in parks with electric hook up. I would like to have it available if I stop at something like a truck stop for a quick nap and it is hot outside. I dont think the generator will be a whole lot louder than some of the diesel engines in trucks so hopefully that would not bother anyone Especially if I park in the back of the lot. From what I have read it looks like some of the quieter generators are around 60 dbm of noise. I am going to see how much I can quiet mine down just for the challenge of it. But I did not have any intension of useing it where other people are trying to camp and disturb them.

porthole

Retired
My Honda 3000 won't push my roof air on my Sundance. I think I'm going to switch to the two 2000 setup this summer ?

Might want to get the generator checked. That is a 23 amp continuous load generator.

Have one and have run the AC with no problems. Is it the 3000i?

The 2000 is a lot nosier once under a 50% load. I would try and get a demo before buying them, especially since you have a 3000 already

sdrubrecht

Stinger381, try turning off all your breakers except the aircon. If it still wont start, have your genny checked like Porthole suggested. You can also try an easy start capacitor on the aircon. Good thread on this mod in rv.net. That honda should do the job is everything is working ok.