Weight and measures of the NEW San Antonio

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

Could someone please gave the dry weight and pin weight. Lazydays has it at 11932 for dry weight. Is that right? That would gave pin weight of about 2000lbs or less. The Heartland web site has it at 13,500 and 2800lb pin. :confused: Thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, your sig does not say if your Chevy is a 2500 or 3500. IMHO, if its a 2500 you will be way over what a 2500 will haul safely when loaded for travel. Im not sure on a 02 but my 07 2500 is rated at 14K for a 5er which puts me at 22K, the legal limit.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Steve,

The pin weight is the pin weight. It's not derived from the dry weight of the coach. There are guidelines for good handling (pin weight 15%-25% of total) and manufactureres design their coaches to meet these. If Heartland says the pin weight is 2800 lbs dry, you should count on 3500-4000 lbs loaded.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wait a minute. The Bighorn 3670rl says don't carry over 16+ hundred pounds of cargo. I imagine most are the same with 14k axles. Say you overload to 2000lbs cargo. Even at 25% for the pin weight, that is still only 500lbs more than dry, or 3300max for a 2800lb dry pin weight.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Trace,
In my experience, more than half of every pound I add to the coach goes straight to the pin. That includes fresh water.

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

I opened a can of worms didn't I ?
Bob have you weighed your pin weight after you loaded your trailer or is this your best guessment of how weight distribution works? And how could pin weight be pin weight without measuring it?

branson4020

Icantre Member
I weigh my rig almost every time I take it out. Highway truck scales are free in Oregon. As an example, I recently installed a generator that weighed about 225 lbs in the front compartment and my pin weight increased by about 175 lbs. Most of the stuff you load into your coach is loaded pretty far forward of the axles. I'm not the weight police, but I do believe that the parameter that most folks exceed first when pullling a fifth wheel is the GVWR of the truck.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob, I guess you have a point. Most cargo is in front of the wheels.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I weigh my rig almost every time I take it out. Highway truck scales are free in Oregon. As an example, I recently installed a generator that weighed about 225 lbs in the front compartment and my pin weight increased by about 175 lbs. Most of the stuff you load into your coach is loaded pretty far forward of the axles. I'm not the weight police, but I do believe that the parameter that most folks exceed first when pullling a fifth wheel is the GVWR of the truck.

And this is exactly why we tow with the 4500 Kodiak...our pin weight, fully loaded and ready to travel, is just a hair under 4,000 lbs...only the newest of 350's/3500's can handle that type of payload. No fear of exceeding the GVWR on this baby...