LSD in a 2007 ULSD Engine

randes

I'm a newbie in the diesel world. I plan to order a Bighorn 3055RL next month and a 2007 F-350 PSD truck to pull it with. I want to go the Alaska this Summer and I'm concerned with the 2007 ULSD requirements. What happens if I am on the road in Canada or some small town and need fuel and there is no ULSD around. What can be done in this situation? Are there additives that can be used or will an occasional tank from time to time not cause any damage to the engine?

This seems like an obvious question, but I haven't seen it addressed as yet. Hope some of you know the answer. I don't know whether to buy a 2006 or a 2007 F-350. :confused:

Roy

Tom of Ypsi

Randes,

The 2007 F-350, 6.0 diesel, can run on either fuel, it is the 2008, 6.4 that needs the ULSD fuel. I do not believe there should be a problem in Canada, they use the same trucks we do in the US.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Roy, Last Friday I purchased a 2007 PSD and had the same question for my dealer. The local diesel pumps state that it is illeagel to use their diesel in 2007 and up. I told my dealer this and they told me that ,at least here in N.C. the pumps are labeled wrong. When I left the dealership with my truck they gave me a voucher to fill up with fuel,which I did with no problems. If you subscribe to Trailer Life Magazine,there is an article this month on the new diesel and the increases in power and tourque the 2008 PSD will have.They will be about $5000.00 higher. Because Ford is trying to get the 2008 launched,they have a limited 2007 production year.I was told that you could probably still buy a 2007 through March. Right now there is a 1500.00 customer loyalty rebate, and a 3000.00 rebate on the 2007.

DennisZ

The correct terminology for the pumps should be that any truck manufactured after 1 Jan 2007 must use the new fuel. Any truck manufactured after 1 Jan 2007 that doesn't meet the Federal clean air standards will have a Federal tax added to it, hence alll the manufacutrers have introduced their new engines that meet the federal standard so they don't get taxed.

randes

Confused

OK, I guess I'm talking about a 2008 PSD. What happens if you put LSD in it? The TL article seemed to indicate that the higher sulfer content would damage some of the new emissions equipment. But I'm wondering if the damage comes from using the LSD reguarly or if an occasional tank, when nothing else is available, would cause any real damage. I don't want to void any warranty or damage the engine.

I E-mailed Ford and they wrote back and said see a local dealer. But I'm concerned if they want to sell you the truck, that they may just tell you what you want to hear. I have read several times that other than California, the rest of the country does not have to be in full compliance with ULSD fuel until 1/1/2010. That implies to me that it is probably possible to not be able to find ULSD in some locations. Hence my concern with a trip to Alaska. Lots of small towns in both the US and Canada. Any Ideas?

timk

Randes,
Its my understanding, that if you run non ULSD it will plug up and stop. They are going to have a particulate filter (muffler) along with about a million other new smog goodies.

SO, run don't walk, to get the pre-08 while they last. Or you and, a million of your friends will be road testing all of the new stuff for the truck builders.
IMHO
TimK

Last edited:

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
My dealer did not have any 2007 on his lot. He had to find one at another dealership. Plus I got the rebates. Don't know 2008 has any rebates.

DennisZ

Right now there may be a shortage of 6.4 Navistar engines for Ford... Ford and Navistar are in a lawsuit over pricing for the new engines as well as warrantee reimbursment over the 6.0 engines. As I've seen on other boards, the Ford SD kentucky plant has been shut down for the last 2 weeks, so 2008 ford SD may not be very plentiful for a while.:mad:

randes

timk,
Is the pre-2008 you mentioned a 2007 body with a 6.0L PSD engine in it?

I haven't been to a Ford dealership yet because I didn't feel I had to buy until March. (I plan to take delivery of my new Bighorn around the 10th - 15th of April. I think I read that the 2007 Ford had electric telescoping rear-view mirrors like GM. That is one option I am interested in.
Roy

timk

Roy,
If you get anything with the 6.0, it should be ok. If I understand it correctly, that would be any 07, the 08's are where the emissions get sticky.
TimK

BluegrassMan

Hi Guys:
I've been interested in all this 07' vs 08' and up. I Just retired from Mack Trucks Inc (Volvo owned now). For the last year we have been working almost around the clock to keep building an 06' engine. As of Jan. 07' there can NOT be any engines built under the "old" EPA standards. The way that the company got around the rule is.... As long as the engines were prosessed as an ordered truck "BEFORE" 07', it could be built until the orders are built and delivered. We had over 25,000 trucks ordered as 06's to be built and got out through early 07. Now I here that my state PA, is adopting California Smog standards in 2008. So any pickup we buy will have ALL the crap built in and hung on the new trucks. My crystal ball doesn't show a cheap solution to this smog EPA stuff. I want to get a F-450 in 08', looks like it will cost a bunch more and be susceptable to fuel problems.

svd

From what I have read, the reduction in sulphur is so drastic, that putting ULS fuel in a system (including tankers, underground storage tanks, pumps, etc) that previously was used for LSD increases the sulphur to a level greater than what is allowed in ULS fuel. Apparently it will take some time to purge the system of residual sulphur from the old higher sulphur fuel.

You can find ULS in more and more places, and as I understand it once the old delivery systems no longer increase sulphur levels, the stickers that say "not for use in 08 vehicles" will be removed. At that time, all we will get is ULS fuel. What concerns me is that ULS will cause problems with those of us that have the older diesels.

Sulphur I believe is used for lubricity, so at that point I may be looking for an additive to increase lubricity. I think this is all similar to the removal of lead in gasoline fuels in the 70's.

osims

bsims
I ask the same question at the dodge dealer.There reply was, we already have ULS fuel in Texas. They are advising customers to add 2 1/2 ounces of 2cycle oil to every other tank. He told me that is what most of the additives are ,because it mixes so well with fuel.