New NT 24 RBS arrival

We took delivery on our 24 RBS & found no defects...Everything works. The wife is stressed about the mattress. Our brochure stated that the standard mattress would be foam & the dealers model had foam. We were shocked with what arrived & the dealer had no foam mattresses with which to replace it. Other than that, we are extremely pleased. One feature we are very happy with is the T.V. When we were shopping, we were concerned about the inability to see the TV from the bed. Problem solved, the TV is mounted on a swivel in the wall which allows viewing from the bed or the living area, a big improvement. A concern is how close the spare rides to the pavement.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I wouldnt worry about the mattress model as you will need to upgrade it. We added a 4" memory foam topper (5lb density) to the factory mattress and it's one of the best beds we have ever slept on.
Our previous TT had a low mounted spare also...I mounted it closer to the trailers axle so ground clearance wasnt an issue.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Congrats on your new toy!
Like Westxsrt10, we put a 3" memory foam pad on our standard mattress and it is great.
The spare tire location isn't all that much of an issue, we did a 4k mile trip this summer and only bottomed out once exiting a gas station that had a very severe / funky kind of gutter between the station and the street. No real damage done, just a couple of scrape marks.
Enjoy!

Thanks folks, we'll shop around for some memory foam. We will leave the spare on the back burner till we experience a problem....Herb

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
How long after you ordered did you receive your unit? We have had a Bighorn on order for a while. Thanks.

TeJay

We also just ordered the NT 24 RBS. Yes the spare is mounted to low. I'll either find a new place to built a mount so I can locate it above above the hitch or store it in the pass through compartment. That will also keep it out of the direct sun.

In regards to the mattress. We have owned two motor homes in the past and always replaced the mattress with some type of air mattress. They are lighter, not to expensive and the newer ones are easily adjustable and and much more comfortable than the old camper style air mattress. I also realize that not everybody can sleep on an air mattress but we like them and find them as comfortable as any mattress. Our home mattress is a sleep # bed and that's been just fine.

Nice to know about the TV. We've actually never seen the unit we ordered. The dealer didn't have the model in stock. We did see the floor plan in the brochure and some similar units but not the NT 24 RBS. We're a little concerned since even the Heartland sight does not have pictures available. Maybe you could give us a heads up of your impressions so far?

Thanks,
TeJay & Liz

Hey TeJay, we really haven't used our 24RBS yet. I have it parked in my son's extra driveway & we did spend one night in it. We replaced the mattress with a memory foam & I slept Okay. I have to take it back to the dealer because I couldn't get hot water to work on elec. & my antenna will not swivel. I haven't figured out how to hook up my satellite receiver yet but we're anxious to hit the road. Keep in touch & perhaps we can compare notes...I'm Herb at urbanjudy2@yahoo.com...
We also just ordered the NT 24 RBS. Yes the spare is mounted to low. I'll either find a new place to built a mount so I can locate it above above the hitch or store it in the pass through compartment. That will also keep it out of the direct sun.

In regards to the mattress. We have owned two motor homes in the past and always replaced the mattress with some type of air mattress. They are lighter, not to expensive and the newer ones are easily adjustable and and much more comfortable than the old camper style air mattress. I also realize that not everybody can sleep on an air mattress but we like them and find them as comfortable as any mattress. Our home mattress is a sleep # bed and that's been just fine.

Nice to know about the TV. We've actually never seen the unit we ordered. The dealer didn't have the model in stock. We did see the floor plan in the brochure and some similar units but not the NT 24 RBS. We're a little concerned since even the Heartland sight does not have pictures available. Maybe you could give us a heads up of your impressions so far?

Thanks,
TeJay & Liz

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey TeJay, we really haven't used our 24RBS yet. I have it parked in my son's extra driveway & we did spend one night in it. We replaced the mattress with a memory foam & I slept Okay. I have to take it back to the dealer because I couldn't get hot water to work on elec. & my antenna will not swivel. I haven't figured out how to hook up my satellite receiver yet but we're anxious to hit the road. Keep in touch & perhaps we can compare notes...I'm Herb at urbanjudy2@yahoo.com...

Take a look at the outside panel of your water heater. There should be a small black switch like you see in the photo. Flip it on to get the water heater to work on electric. Both it and the switch inside need to be in the on position for it to work.

There isn't much to the standard RV antenna mechanism. Once you raise it via the crank handle, it should rotate by turning the knurled ring.

View attachment 12039

Thanks, John. I had the switches on but no hot water with elec. The antenna will crank to the up position but the ring is stuck & will not pull down to allow rotation. I fear that applying excessive force will cause damage & it would be my fault, so I'll let the pros deal with it....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks, John. I had the switches on but no hot water with elec. The antenna will crank to the up position but the ring is stuck & will not pull down to allow rotation. I fear that applying excessive force will cause damage & it would be my fault, so I'll let the pros deal with it....

Good idea, if simple things don't remedy a problem. There is a difference between something that doesn't work right and something that doesn't work right because you tried to fix it.

Saildogs

We had the same issue with the water heater not working on electric and it was a loose wire. Fixed under warranty and has worked perfectly since.

We also ordered the TT from a floorplan without seeing it in person. It meets all our expectations with plenty of room for us and our standard poodles.

pegmikef

I wouldnt worry about the mattress model as you will need to upgrade it. We added a 4" memory foam topper (5lb density) to the factory mattress and it's one of the best beds we have ever slept on.

I have seen several references to the memory foam topper (3" and 4"). I have an NT RLSS26 and the mattress is roughly 60 x 73. I have looked at a couple of place on line (Bed, bath, and beyond, Sam's, and Pennys) and all I find are 1 1/2 and 2 inch toppers. Where's a good place to find one of these and can they be trimmed? All the ones I saw are longer than 73 inches and my NT really can't stand even a couple of more inches in length. Thanks for your help.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
@pegmikef.... We bought a 3" foam at a sams club (not online). The best way to cut is with an electric carving knife (like for turkey), cuts like butter.

pegmikef

K, thanx. I'll check the store today (we have a small Sam's here in San Angelo). After our last trip, I'm convinced we need something!