2011 BH3070RL - External Vent for Microwave?

bobber

We just purchased our 2011 3070RL and are very happy with the unit. The only issue I have is the microwave. The microwave is not vented to the outside of the fifth wheel. The air is vented inside the unit which defeats having the vent. The moisture is just pulled back into the unit. Are all the units vented inside? We have the Frigidaire CMWV150KBA. Also according to our manual we have the Canadian model of this microwave. It only has one fan speed (which is high). The USA version has 2 fan speeds. Does anyone know why the Canadian model was installed? Also, any suggestions about the venting of the unit? I really feel it should be vented to the outside.

Thank you for any help or suggestions. We are members of the Heartland Owners Club#1789.

Thanks again,

Barbara

2010augusta

Re: Microwave issue 2011 3070RL

Barbara, I believe there should be 2 clips outside, that hold the vent flip in place for travel. the clips need to be turned to allow the vent to work. Just remember to re-clip the flap before tow the trailer, or else it is about $15 for a new vent when the flap flies out of the vent at 60mph.

Take care

bobber

Sure wish there were clips outside. The hole was never cut to the outside. (so sad)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Maybe you should contact your dealer and Heartland about this. Something doesn't sound right if there's no vent to the outside and you've got a "foreign" model of an appliance. Anyone else got a 2011 with no external stove vent (that's what it's really for).

Gizzy

We have a BH3070 and the first thing we noticed was both the stove vent and the microwave both vent to the inside.

When we run one of the fans we turn on the Fantastic Fan roof vent and it seems to take care of the problem.

I guess because the fans are both located in a slide they don't vent to the outside, not sure why. Maybe someone will chime in with an answer.

Not a big deal for us, we love our new coach.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders

I don't think your microwave is vented to the outside. Your regular stove is vented or should be. The microwave in my house is not vented except out the back. In my 3055 we do tend to get moisture inside when we use it, we just leave the door cracked until it drys out. I really don't think any of the trailers vent the microwave to the outside, at least I never had a vent in my other rigs.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

If the microwave is located over the range, it serves as the range vent and should have an external vent behind it, even if it is in a slide (this is the configuration we have). If the microwave is not over the range, it should not have a vent (this is the configuration we had in our previous trailer).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I don't think your microwave is vented to the outside. Your regular stove is vented or should be. The microwave in my house is not vented except out the back. In my 3055 we do tend to get moisture inside when we use it, we just leave the door cracked until it drys out. I really don't think any of the trailers vent the microwave to the outside, at least I never had a vent in my other rigs.

Our microwave is vented to the outside. But that may be because it is a Convection/Microwave. Our last 5er had just a microwave and it was vented to he outside.

ross_nc

The microwave is located above the stove (beside the refrigerator) and is intended to also be the vent to the exterior for the stove. Cooking can be a major source of moisture in the trailer. I don't believe that the Fantastic Fan roof vent should be used as a stove vent or that it is a good choice to serve as a stove vent. The microwave manual also indicates that the unit has two speeds however it only has one (high). But the major problem is that it does not vent the stove to the outside. Ross BH 3070RL HOC1789

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Did you call about it? Heartland does look at these forums, but it's not their primary job. Even our responses are time delayed.

Pizzaguy

We just had some warranty work done on our 2011 3610RE and one of the problems was the fan on the Micro/Convection did nor work at all. When they pulled it out to fix it they found the problem with the fan and also said there was no cutout to the outside for it to vent. Dealer knocked out the cutout in the wall and everything works fine now.I guess our trailer wasn't the only one they forgot to remove the wall cutout from. I'd contact Heartland or your dealer to get it fixed.Somebody was sleeping on the job!

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member

If you have a over the range mircowave/convection oven this thread will help you check the vent for the punch out obstructions, and removal of the punch outs.

Last edited:

Gizzy

After reading these replies I'm still waiting for some reason why the range cover exhaust fan vents to the inside. If not for the Fantastic Fan it would be a major problem at times.

All I have seen so far is talk about the Microwave/Convection oven exhaust.

Is there a reason the range vent is not vented to the outside?

Can it be made to vent to the outside?

bobber

I am planning to call Heartland on Monday. The microwave is mounted over the stove as Ross posted. They did leave the template for the cutout in our owner package for the microwave. As I posted originally the microwave is the Canadian version according to the manual because the fan only has 1 speed and the US version has 2 speeds. Will let you know what I find out. If you have suggestions who to ask for I would appreciate any information.

Barbara

Dave49

I have the 3670 and when I purchased the unit the micro did exhaust to the outside. It had some scratches and they agreed on sale to change it out. They didn't get the new micro in at the right time before we were to leave for a summer vacation. We agreed to change out the unit when I got back, and when they did the new unit didn't exhaust out the back. I looked into the installation guide and it says you have to change the fan inside the unit to the correct way you want it exhausted. So in mine it has a way to fix this. Also this unit only has one fan speed and the original had two. I was going to do this myself, but not really sure on how to get to the mounting bolts. I believe its under the top shelf, but hate to tear it apart and not be it.

Anyone know for sure how this is done?

Dave

Dave

bobber

Have not called Heartland yet. We e'mailed since it is the holiday season. The changes in the microwave might not be bad but the fact we never had the hole cut in the wall nor the outside vent installed we didn't think we wanted to try the fix ourselves.

ross_nc

The factory phoned and said that the 3070RL was designed to have the stove vent to the interior of the trailer and they would not authorize any changes to allow it to vent to the exterior; however, we could make the change if we still felt it was necessary.

Ross

jbeletti

Moved out of ATF as factory has spoken with OP (ross_nc & bobber). Appears that 3070 is designed to have the microwave vent itself inside, not outside.

GOTTOYS

My Big Country 3250 has no outside vent for the kitchen either. I think it's because they way the area around the stove is designed. The stove does not go all the way back against the outside wall as there is a storage compartment for the hoses and electrical behind it with access only from the outside. It would require some ducting to get the stove to vent outside...Hmmmm.. maybe another project...Don