How does my solar system work??

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
First, I admit to being a solar idiot. Here is my problem... It appears that the power usage in my Landmark comes first from the solar system, before pulling from shore power. I am in PA and it's cold here, so I am running two electric heaters as well and keeping the propane thermostat set at 65. My batteries on my solar system are drained and even during the daylight there is not enough charge coming from the array to make them keep up with the electrical usage. Now I'm starting to get alarm bells when the furnace fires up and the fan motor uses additional power.

Isn't there a way to bypass the solar system and run strictly off of shore power. I know may explanation my not be technical enough, but PLEASE, ask me questions and I'll try to have good answers. Looks like this may be a pretty sleepless night with the alarm going off every time the furnace fires up.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well, here it is, just 10 minutes later, 23 degrees outside, and I just got a Fault 135 - System Shut Down! Now I have no power to the unit at all and this is not good. The system shut down due to low batteries. There has got to be a way to bypass this lousy solar system!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am not solar proficient but it seems as though there should be a switch to switch the system from solar to regular AC power. Sort of an isolation device.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I agree, but I'm not finding it. I still had the cell number of the guy who installed it and called him, but he no longer has that number. At this point I'm just trying not to panic.

jmgratz

I would look around where the wires for the solar panel controller is to see if the switch is there. You could connect a battery charger to the battery(s) in the meantime. Also look around the park where you are to see if anyone else has solar and as them for help.

SmokeyBare

I would first look for the Inverter control display. There should be some type of display with the control switch's that would let you toggle the Inverter to a STAND BY mode or toggle it to be completely OFF. Try switching the Inverter to STAND BY. That should allow the system to continue to allow the display to work but not be actively Inverting power from the batteries. ( It actually shouldn't be Inverting power from the battery bank if your hooked Up to Shore Power )

On some Inverter Control centers there is a switch that would charge the battery bank the Inverter is attached too. Look for a switch on the display that will power up the charger. You'll need to be connected to Shore Power to do this.

To help a little understand solar systems, Think - two separate system.

One being the Solar Panels that connect to a Charge Controller which connects to a Bank of Batteries. That system takes the suns power and through a controller puts that power into a bank of batteries.

The second part of the system is the Inverter which inverts the Direct Current power from the Battery Bank into usable 110 Volt AC power.

Hope this is some help.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Thanks Marv, or is it Karen? I think I get what you're saying, but at this moment it has shut down and I can't get it started back up. Better explanation... the light panel that shows my battery status it just starting to light up again and the batteries are starting to charge from shore power. However I can not get the panel that allows me to turn the inverter, or the charger, on and off to bring up a display. It seems that when it said System Shutdown, it really meant it. Without the system being up I have no power to the trailer. I've got to get it working or I'll have no heat and my tanks will freeze.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
On second look I don't think my batteries are charging. I just took the drain off of them and they flashed back up to 11.0 and 11.1. I guess I'm just not going to have power until morning and have to hope for a sunny day and no frozen tanks, yeah right, who am I kidding, I'm in NE PA?

jmgratz

I would sure run to Wal-Mart and get a cheap battery charger for the night. At least it will give you the 12 volts you need to run the furnace.

2010augusta

There has to be some way to turn off or disconnect the inverter and batteries from the rest of the 110 volt system.

It could be that you converter has bit the dust, and the 110 volt system is not re-charging the 12 volt system

If you can turn off the inverter, go buy a battery and/or charger and put it place tonight to get you through with heat, and dive deeper in the morning.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Also, I do have one outlet in the washer/dryer area that is not on the system so I can keep the bedroom warm. That leaves the tanks and pipes in the cold though. If I open the sliding panel that is in the storage compartment and put a heater in there, running straight from the 15amp outlet on the power pedistal, will that help keep them warm?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe a electrician could be called. It would be a good price for a service call but would be better than anything. Make sure he knows what your problem is.

SmokeyBare

Sorry your having so much trouble. I'm not an expert at all... I do have a system on my Bighorn. It has a Xantrex 2000 Watt inverter, which comes with a Display panel to operate the system..

The Control Panel has 3 switches.
1. On - OFF with a third spot, Configure mode, to allow adjustments of the System.
2. Turns the Inverter to ON (Standby) or Off (No Inverting)
3. Charge System (On or Off)
Above those 3 switches is a series of arrow buttons which allows me to move through the different menu options.
Checking AC in or AC Out
Battery Condition Volts DC
Charging Condition (this inverter has a 3 stage Charger) which shifts up or down as needed.
These arrow buttons are also used when the system is first set up.

It sounds like your system is not wired correctly. Only a guess here... but no way should the system be inverting when your connected to Shore Power. If it's detecting AC Power coming into the RV... it should not want to draw power from the battery bank.

Good Luck
Marv

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Thanks Marv, I agree that it is probably not wired correctly, but the system was installed before we tool possession, and supposedly by a professional that did the big motorhomes. Water under the bridge now. Your panel sound very simular to mine, though not exact. Trouble is that my panel is dead at this point so I'm going to empty out the storage compartment, open the sliding panel, plug in a heater, then plug in a heater in the laundry area, hope for the best and call it a night. Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

2010augusta

Quick questions:

1. how much of your 110 volt system in the trailer is working?

2. Have you tried unhooking the solar/inverter setup from the battery bank?

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
1. I think only the one outlet in the washer/dryer area. (If I understand the question correctly)

2. We got the trailer in July 2007 and had the system installed pre-delivery.

3. I'm a female alone (Don died in July) and no I don't have a clue what to disconnect, but you tell me and I'll surely give it a try.