Cargo Doors

JIM-GERI

Have a Big Country 2011 3450ts and had problems with he Cargo door opening while traveling and noticed that the new big country fixed that problem. So my question is can i change the locks on the cargo doors to the Easy Close Slam Latch thats offered in the new Big Country

2010augusta

It is not just a matter of changing to locks to upgrade to slam doors. The entire door and frame is different, if yours has rounded corners, then part of the walls would have to be removed, because the slam doors have square corners.

GOTTOYS

If it's the front cargo door near the pin I changed mine by installing 2 locks, one on each side and used one of the twist locks in the center. More secure and I used new locks that are keyed alike. Shop one of the big box home improvement stores and you can replace the 751 locks with something different for under 5 bucks each...Then you take the left over twist lock, add a longer latch to it from the new locks you get, tweak it a little and replace the junk plastic latch on the sewer hose compartment with it....Don

jimtoo

Have a Big Country 2011 3450ts and had problems with he Cargo door opening while traveling and noticed that the new big country fixed that problem. So my question is can i change the locks on the cargo doors to the Easy Close Slam Latch thats offered in the new Big Country

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sorry your having a problem with a door lock, but should be a easy fix. If you can't get it done with the help of the other owners, contact your dealer.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Country.

Jim M

Also,, welcome to the Heartland Owners named Jim club... we have a lot of Jim's.

Wharton

If you have problems finding the locks Mr. Lock is a great site to deal with. We replaced all our 751's(which is on all coaches) with different lock numbers keyed the same.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I moved this thread out of the ATF area, because it has been answered by other Heartland owners and the factory is closed until after the first of the year.

After looking at a friends Greystone this past weekend, his corners are rounded, and I do not see why an older camper cannot be retrofitted with the slam latch? It looks as though if you remove your old turn latch, cut the appropriate hole for the slam latch (probably easiest using a jig) then screw them in place. Then all that is left is installing the catch. Maybe I am missing something but it looked pretty easy. I am sure after the cutting of the first hole is complete, the rest would go quick.

Bighurt

I'm looking to do this. One issue is that the slam latches are designed to be clamp mouted to the door and require a 1"+ thick door. I'm trying to get a sample to firgure out a mod myself. Looks like I'm going to just buy one. I just can't figure out what single and triple point actuation means in regards to the slam latch.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The single point latches directly into the frame adjacent to the latch. The double or triple latch uses a rod mechanism that has one piece that moves up and one that moves down, latching into the frame top and bottom...at least that was my understanding.

Bighurt

I sorta figured that but the picture is the same for both...at least the one I'm looking at.

GOTTOYS

There are some new slam type latches out now that will replace the old style locks that most of the doors have somewhere. Not sure where I saw them. Maybe Tweedys RV will have them on the internet. Just a change to the latch, no drilling or fitting. If I find more info I'll post it...Don

Bob Vaughn

I have the slam latches on all the doors except the front one behind the pin....What a PITA to get the latch part to line up correctly when I close the door....they want to fall to the closed position instead of staying open. I will get one lined up to close it and it moves.....uuuuuggggg......

I have attached a pic of the slam latch diagram I was given. Of course it is missing the dimension for the depth of the screw post/door thickness required. I am looking at buying a set of these and trying them myself. Provided the depth of my doors are adequate, it looks like an easy mod. It hurt more when I drilled the first hole for my hitch through the bed of my truck. After the first one, I never blinked an eye!

Slam Latch.jpg

Bighurt

That's the same as I have little over 1" thick door required. However it looks like the manufacture includes a back spacer for use on the thinner doors. So I may order one and see what I get. The one I'm looking at is the Trimark 60-460 EZ Access Baggage Door Lock.

I was just quoted for the Slam Latch through Lippert. I was a little taken back when I was given a price of $46.25 each. It wouldn't be so bad if I only wanted a couple, but was looking for a dozen. I will have to look at the Trimark you mentioned. The doors I saw on the Greystone had a backing plate to make up for the thinner door installed from the factory.