Over night dry camping Alaska Highway

KL7j

I have made a POI file for over night dry camping on the Alaskan Highway from Dawson Creek to Whitehorse, YT., that I have compiled over the years. It is in Garmin's .gpi format and one would just move it into a Garmin via USB to the Garmin/POI folder location, then access thru Extras icon upon reboot. That way it does not fill your favorites up with a long list but instead is menu driven through the Garmin 'Extras' Icon that handles compilied POI's.

This one when accessed will show up as a listing of the sites and miles to that spot. I can do a route file upon request but I personally don't use them.

I can also send a Google Earth .kml file to view in that free program if desired.

It was made with sites large enough for my BH 5th and just an over night stop over. It also has a few sani dump locations along the way.

Email me (make sure to put in your email address in the text, Heartland forum lets me reply otherwise but no attachments so I will need to use email direct outside the forum) if you have use for the file. It was updated this October 2010 on a trip back to AK.

I do have the RV launching frost heaves marked in another file, about 120 miles of them in Google Earth, Garmin or GPX.

Last edited:

lcdrdean

I am coming to Alaska this spring/summer. Would you send me a copy of the Google Earth file? I am asking here because I can't seem to find your email on the site. My email is lcdrdean@earthlink.net. Thanks.

jgilbert

Please send me the Garmin POI file of overnight dry camping spots on the Alaska Highway. We are planning a 2012 trip to Alaska, and this would definitely be appreciated and much needed.

rvjoe@me.com
Joe

gmpoirier

George
We took our BH 3670 to AK in 2009. We kept a journal that you might find helpful and enjoyable. There are photo and en route videos as well as a journal of our experiences.

http://alaska.mpandgp.com

We had such a great time that we're returning again this summer.

lcdrdean

We took our BH 3670 to AK in 2009. We kept a journal that you might find helpful and enjoyable. There are photo and en route videos as well as a journal of our experiences.

http://alaska.mpandgp.com

We had such a great time that we're returning again this summer.

Thank you for the link! We are headed to AK this year (leaving from Virginia on 3 April headed to Fairbanks via the most direct route).

davebennington

We would like to chime in also Thank you for the link. We are leaving from the National Rally in Goshen and heading to Alaska. The link is very informative.

Dave & Julie

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have driven the ALCAN since it was a gravel road. I have made 27 trips up the entire length and now intend on NEVER doing it again, the fun is gone. I worked for the AK fish and game and traveled the road back and forth for at least 10 trips. I flew for the Military and traveled it many times. It is fun ONE TIME and then is rough. At least stop a Laird Junction and take a soak! Want the real "I have done it" information give me a call. Want the "it's the best thing ever happened in my life" then you deserve what you get. It is a tough road and MANY are out there looking for tourists to take advantage of.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have driven the ALCAN since it was a gravel road. I have made 27 trips up the entire length and now intend on NEVER doing it again, the fun is gone. I worked for the AK fish and game and traveled the road back and forth for at least 10 trips. I flew for the Military and traveled it many times. It is fun ONE TIME and then is rough. At least stop a Laird Junction and take a soak! Want the real "I have done it" information give me a call. Want the "it's the best thing ever happened in my life" then you deserve what you get. It is a tough road and MANY are out there looking for tourists to take advantage of.

what years did you drive it? I did 4 trips...you stationed at Wainwright??

MandJ

Thank you KL7j. My wife and I are going to the Goshen Rally and heading out to Alaska afterwards. It is our first trip. We have until October 1 to get to our camping spot at Jekyll Island Georgia so that gives us close to 100 days away on our NorthWest trip. I would like to request the Garmin file also. My email address is jherlihy@cavtel.net. Additionally the Google earth .klm file would be nice to receive also. I thank all those who have addressed this thread.

Perhaps we will meet others at the rally going to AK to share some tips and suggestions. We are going out 80 to 90 and up 15 in Montana into Alberta province. Again thanks to those who are so helpful on this forum.

John and Marie Herlihy
SouthEast PA.

davebennington

MandJ,

We are leaving from the rally in Goshen and heading to Alaska also. We will attempt to look you up when we get to tha rally.

Dave