50 amp power cord

SonnyT

Someone stole my 50 amp cord off my RV at the house (had it plugged in to outside power source) does anyone know where I can get a relacement thats not gonna cost me an arm and a leg? Thanks.

GOTTOYS

Looks to me like they cost an arm and part of a leg. Sorry to hear some Rat Bxxxxxx made off with it. It's probably just going to get cut up and sold for scrap....After you get the replacement lock it away until you really need it. I plug mine in at home to a 15 amp circuit using a couple adapters and a light weight extension cord. I don't need anymore than enough to run the lights and keep the battery charged. If you catch the Rat give him a couple for me...Don

Paul_in_MN

I'm sure sorry to hear about the loss of your cord. I have been concerned about the same thing happening to my 50 amp cord. So I have made a few inquiries about the big yellow twist lock plug end that attaches to the trailer. About 5 different sources have that plug priced at $94 and up! My Heartland trailer dealer thought that was outrageous, as I also thought the same. He checked his pricing and found the same price area.

My goal was to make up a short cord that attaches to the trailer and can provide 30 amps, as most of the campgrounds we visit only have the 30 amp service anyhow. It seems to be a big risk (in terms of copper theft) to have the big cord plugged in and laying on the ground for the low lifes to see and easily take. So far I have not made the short converter cord because of the high cost of the trailer attach twist lock end. But does anyone have another way around this problem?? I suppose a guy could make up a 120 V cheater cord that plugs into an outside trailer outlet. But that cord would need to have both male ends, and that can be a deadly accident just waiting to happen. And that backfeeding of an outside circuit could have problems with the GFI, and at best would only supply 1/2 of the trailer's AC circuits, and be limited to a max of 15 amps. So I don't think that is any kind of a solution.

I did use a paint marker and put my name and home phone number on both ends of the big cord. Maybe that would give a entry level thief just a hint that he/she should steal someone else's cord instead. But that is about as good as attaching an ear tag to a calf that is about to be taken by cattle rustlers.

I hope someone has a better solution, and shares it with us.

Paul_in_MN

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I believe that the power cord is a problem we must endure. If you lock it they can cut it or rip it out of the side of the trailer. Then you have more damage and still lost the power cord.

There is a similar problem if you have a portable generator, such as the Honda 2000. Lock them down and they cut the chain.

There are certain things that we that travel in RV's have to endure.

BC

rvn4fun

We purchased ours off of Ebay , but have seen them on Craigs list, and here in Yuma there has been one advertised in the shopper for several weeks.

traveler44

I use my 30 amp. most all of the time. I lock the elec. box and that protects my surgeguard--rv protector--right in the box. I loop the cord thru the same lock. If anybody wants mine they have to cut a heavy duty lock or a live cord which should light them up in a flash. I have thought about getting a surge guard for my 50A and using it. If I do I'll figure out a way to lock it too. Like they say though locks just keep honest people honest a real thief will figure some way to get it. Maybe mine will look like more work than the next guys and somebody said thats all you need. Tom M.

jnbhobe

You can buy a adapter that goes from 50amp Marinco to a 30amp RV plug from CW or Tweetys. Not too expensive I have a couple made up since 30amp is all we use

caokgafamily

What a sad world we live in these days. I made a 30' extension for my 50amp cord, It cost me about $45.00. I bought all the material at Lowe's.

Steve

RollingHome

Go to an electrical supply or box store with your 50 amp plug configuration. Do a Rube Goldberg to go from it to a 15 amp 120 volt male plug. Put in enough cheap cord between it and the 50 amp plug to discourage the thieves and making replacement much less in $. You will keep the batteries charged and have lights but not much more. Can you put in motion lights to scare the thieves off ? It was a scrap copper heist and they will be back to support their habit.

Vtxkid

Wow! didn't realize myself how much one of these 50 amp cords can cost! Makes you wonder about the concerns...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I made a 30' extension for my 50amp cord, It cost me about $45.00. I bought all the material at Lowe's.
Wow.. That is a great price. What size wire did you buy. Just connectors would cost that much where I am. #6 AWG flexible 4 conductor cable cost about $27 per 10 ft. It would cost me about $150 to make one.

You need to make up some of these cables and sell them. You could make some great cash.

BC

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Sorry to hear about your lose !! Following Criags list might be a great idea, you my get your cord back and the thief to boot !!

We purchased ours off of Ebay , but have seen them on Craigs list, and here in Yuma there has been one advertised in the shopper for several weeks.