Mount Level to Pin Box with Fiberglass Cover???

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel

Given the Fiber Glass cover over the Pin Box, has anyone come up with a nice way to mount this leveling bubble. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time,

Jasmar (Tom)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just from my personal experience, I had one of those and while it looks impressive and very cool on the front of the trailer, I sold it at Nashville last years Rally. I went back to the tried and true method of getting the rig on the spot, getting out of the truck and checking my side to side graduated level to see how much I needed to put under the tires. Move the rig a bit, put the boards down, pull up on the boards and set the chocks.

Not that I've traveled the country but there have been very few parks that have level sites and I've had to use boards to level in most Parks. I never knew how thick I needed to use till I got out of the truck so I saw no point in those big fancy looking levels. Another issue with them is you have to protect them from UV. They degrade and eventually leak (long term exposure).

Go to Wally World and get the cheapo graduated level set. Or go to CW and get one of these for front to back leveling. Best device I ever used.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Whatever you do, don't waste your money on one of these. It's a royal PITA to get batteries into it, and while you're using it, it wants to shut itself off every 10 seconds. Also, the embossed printing is on the bottom of the sending unit, so it doesn't sit perfectly flat.

http://www.jtrv.com/product_level.html

A spirit level set on the floor works. Get that level and you'll be good to go. Then you can put stick-on levels outside for quick reference.

By the way, I don't think the pin cover is fiberglass. It's just molded plastic and it will crack if you bump or flex it when it's cold. DAMHIKT. It might not survive the cut when I replace the pin box this spring.

Last edited:

grizzlygiant

Tom: I have this level mounted to my pin box and find it next to worthless. My wife puts a spirit level on the kitchen floor and tells me what I need under the tires. This seems to work best.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I have one of those levels and have used it for 3 years. No problems with it at all. I do not have the pinbox cover however, so I'm of no help about mounting it. We leveled the trailer, set the level, and it measures in 1" increments side to side as well as front to back. The increments tell you how many 1" blocks you need. Easy-peasy.
That being said, we'll see how it works with the new Rieco Titan Ground Control that we're putting on.

porthole

Retired

Given the Fiber Glass cover over the Pin Box, has anyone come up with a nice way to mount this leveling bubble. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time,

Jasmar (Tom)

The pin box cover looks nice the way it comes from the factory - personally I would not add the level and detract from the looks.
I did add one of those levels to the front of the trailer under the overhang,on the left side so it is viable in my mirror.

And now that I have Level Up it doesn't get used anymore

caissiel

I took the cover off the trailer when I got home. It was to wide for my fabricated tailgate, and I had to drop the gate to hitch. If the truck was angled the tail gate hit the trailer so I have no use for it.
Mounted my old level on the Pin box and use it all the time to level the trailer. Have one on the pin box for the last 15 years of 5th wheel ownership.

I use the cheaper model and sometimes I have to hit it so it will show proper level after driving long trips.

I use 1.5" blocking and usually I can level it on the first try. The wife does the driving while I level and she advises me when the level is good. We have a method that works great and the level is nice in the mirror while I am at the trailer wheels placing the blocking.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have one like that and I mounted it on top of the front (under the kingpin overhang) door. I glued it on and it has served me well there and it is basically out of sight.

SilverRhino

I mounted mine on the front of our BC (Finally Mounted PinBox Level ).

I've used this type of level on our previous fifth wheels also and they work just fine for me. Like to be able to see just how level things are from the cab of the truck.

My level is a little different but close. I made sure the trailer was level using a regular level then I took a piece of wood cut it at the angle of the pin box and the length of the level. I painted it to match the cover and mounted the level on it. I then took the pin box cover off and drilled two small holes and mounted the wood and level to the box cover and reinstalled it.

Buddywayne