Camping around Lake George

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

We are looking at a couple of options for a summer getaway in 2011. One of them is in the northeast part of New York state and the other is to go back to the Fredericksburg, VA area which we really liked some years back. In considering the New York option, I'm trying to get a better feel for the area. Specifically, we are looking at the Lake George/Watkins Glen area. For those of you who are familiar with that area, do you have any recommendations on favorite campgrounds, things to see/do there? Generally we prefer full hookup sites on longer trips but we'd consider very scenic state park settings without sewer. Any ideas or experiences in that area?

Thanks,

Pete

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Hello Pete,

What time of year/Month were you thinking ? . We have visit many LG and Adirondack campgrounds for future rally locations. We also are have the Ny rally next year near Watkins Glen area in Oct .

Last edited:

beasleyrl

Hey guys,

...the other is to go back to the Fredericksburg, VA area which we really liked some years back. ...
Pete
Can't help with New York, but if you need suggestions around Fredericksburg or DC, let us know as we live here. We live in Fredericksburg.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys,

We're probably looking at some time in June 2011. We're also pretty familiar with Fredericksburg. Sharon went to college there some years ago. When we were there last time we stayed in Stafford as well as Staunton. That was back in 2002, just before the Beltway snipers did their thing.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Cherry Hill in College Park , MD is a terrific park if you're interested in going into DC. It's a beautiful park and has direct bus service to metrorail.

jimpav

THe first week in June is always the Americade motorcycle rally ( America's largest touring expo). THe entire town is taken over by motorcycles from all over the country. Motels and campgrounds are filled to capacity. It's a great time. I've been there a few times when I used to live in the NY area.
www.tourexpo.com

Peteandsharon

Cherry Hill sounds good. Gets a good rating from the Trailer Life campground directory. My only fear is that it may be a bit too "urban". Is this on the outskirts of College Park? It does sound convenient to the DC sites and I'm guessing not too far from places like Gettysburg either. We stayed at Aquia Pines in Stafford VA back in 2002 and my recollection was that the campsites were real uneven. Had to stack a lot of wood just so my rear jacks could reach the ground. So, the campground was not the best but it was convenient to Civil War sites like Manassus and Fredericksburg.

As to the motorcycle rally it seems like it might be a time to avoid since the campgrounds fill up like that. I had a bad experience outside of Marysville, OH a few years ago when a mixup in my hotel reservation put me out in the cold with no place to stay anywhere within 50 miles. They were having what they called Honda homecoming. Every hotel within a huge radius was filled with Honda motorcycles and I had drive home 8 hours back to Illinois at 10:00 at night. I was scarred for life by motorcycles. But seriously, unless you're a motorcycle buff, it might be best to avoid NY the first week in June. We were realistically looking at the second or third week anyway.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you look it up on google maps you'll see that it is right where I-95 splits back off of the DC beltway to head up toward Baltimore. There is some traffic noise, but not excessive (IMHO). Feels like you're in an suburban l;ocation. but real close to transportation, stores, restuarants, etc. We really liked it.

RollingHome

Pete, Another consideration would be to camp closer to Lake Sacadaga and truck into Lake George for the night life. Patti's uncle had a cabin on Sacadaga and this is what we did. Sacadaga day, George at night, just a thought.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys.

I had actually been looking at the Lake George RV park. I believe it is the highest rated campground in that area in the Trailer life directory. I liked the video because it gave a good shot of the campsites. Looks like it has a very "woodsy" feel to it which you don't always get at an RV park. Looks real nice. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll also take a look at the Lake Sacadaga recommendation. I'm not familiar with that one.

Peteandsharon

Thanks Larry and Samantha.

I'm very familiar with rvparkreviews. I use it along with the trailer life directory, trailer life directory software, direct websites and any other source I can get my hands on. I tend to go to the trailer life directory first because it has a rating for scenic beauty which we find to be important. As a matter of fact, if you haven't seen the trailer life directory software, I would highly recommend it. It will allow you to do complete trip routing, find campgrounds close to any given point, search for campgrounds and other things and get the same rating information that the directory itself gives. You can search for campgrounds with various criteria such as those having a certain rating, those that are pet friendly etc. etc. Very nice.

Pete

buckeyebob

its been 20 years but we stayed at the koa in lake lucerne area,coming from ohio we took the scenic rought all the way around sacadega lake!!!!!!this was with a pop up,lots of twists and turns to say the least.i would definately recomend interstate to the area.they had a real nice rodeo in the mountains with people from 3 or 4 different states as contestants.lake lucerne was less commercial ,as lake george seemed to be one big t shirt shop.