Heater popping

captchat

We took our new 2011 3670 on its maiden voyage to Las Vegas and Death Valley a few weeks ago and it was great. We used the furnace every day and it kept us very comfortable. The only thing that concerns me is the furnace would pop kinda like a backfire once in a while when it was running. There was no wind blowing up the exhaust that might cause it. I was wondering if it might be a mixture problem. We will be taking the trailer to the dealer for a few warranty issues next week. I did let my dealer know what I heard a he said he was not familiar with the problem but would look into it. Death Valley is -200 feet below sea level. Could that have anything to do with it? Thanks in advance for any advise.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm operating at 200 feet below sea level. Now thats a good question. I would call Suburban and ask them about that myself. And if you do call and ask come back here and let us know what they said.

Peace
Dave

captchat

Hmm operating at 200 feet below sea level. Now thats a good question. I would call Suburban and ask them about that myself. And if you do call and ask come back here and let us know what they said.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, My wife just reminded me it was doing it here a home in Acton, 3200 ft. so maybe its something else.

StephenKatSea

Thanks Dave, My wife just reminded me it was doing it here a home in Acton, 3200 ft. so maybe its something else.

Sounds like we are experiencing the same with the furnace on our BH3670. Furnace runs fine but does produce the "low rumble" after burner type noise periodically after it has been on for a few minutes. We are located on the Colorado River, elev. about 500 ft., low humidity, winter temps. cool enough to require the furnace in the AM. Would sure like to learn of the solution to this phenomina, if someone comes up with one.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure if this is causing issue, but sometimes a new heat exchanger will make some popping sounds as it expands and contracts.

StephenKatSea

Believe we are experiencing the same thing on our 08' BH3670. I'd describe our's as a "booming" sound coming from the furnace, after it has run for a while. It is NOT the sound of expanding ducting. BH customer service directed me to Lew at Suburban. He was helpful. Said the symptom was likely that of "delayed ignition" within the combustion chamber of the furnace. Excessive propane provided to the chamber prior to ignition. Cause could be (1) a faulty limit switch on the propane side or (2) fault in the electronic ignite system. Either case, it sounds like a job for a qualified tech.

StephenKatSea

Our problem has been solved by an adjustment of the propane regulator. Tech first hooked up a manometer at the stove to check propane system pressure. Correct pressure is 10.5 to 11" water column (about .5 psi). A simple adjustment of the regulator located at the propane bottles and the problem (booming noise caused by the ignition of excessive gas) was gone.