Daily mileage

dmcessna

The house goes on sale in 6 weeks. Once the money's in the bank we'll order a new BH3585 and an F350. Going full time! Never spent a single night in a 5th wheel. Lot's of questions. Here's one for starters. We'll probably relocate 2 or 3 times per year. Was wondering how many miles per day we could expect to tow? I know there are variables; terrain, interstate or side roads, weather, road work, etc. But one of our relocation trips will be 2,800 miles. How many days should I plan? Thanks for any advice.
Marty & Mickey

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Marty and Mickey, Congratulations on your up & coming venture.

Everyone has their own personal limitations and we certainly can't determine a few others like traffic and weather. We like to plan on a 300 mile day. I use MS Streets & Trips to plan our route and look within that mileage range for potential places to stay. If it's an interesting area we may spend a few days. We have even spent a few nights in a Cheap motel for not a whole lot more than the cost of a decent RV park. If the roads are good and we feel like going farther, we just look down the road (using the GPS) for another place to stay.

caissiel

We travel south from New Brunswick Canada in the fall to Florida and return in the spring. We will travel max 600 miles in one day or 12hrs and then bunk in for the night. We have favorite spots that are RV friendly that we stop to relax.
We never have any reservation because we are never in a hurry we will stop for longer stay depending on the weather, cold , rain or heat. I never travel in the rain if I have the choice. Did that before on short vacations and all chances of accident are greatly increase while traveling in the rain or snow.

We took 3 weeks to travel 2000 miles and we enjoyed it all the way as we visited new things and places, and friends.

I have an additional tank and can travel one long day without refueling and stop anytime we feel we want to. In addition my wife drives our compact car behind me and so far she also enjoys the ride.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My limited experience is pulling our rig 200 miles and taking 3 1/2 hours to get there. Average speed is 65 mph, no fuel stop required, and usually only one rest area stop for a nature call. My wife is so far not willing to try driving the truck with the trailer attached, so with that, 400 miles would be our (my) maximum limit. Beyond that is not something I want to attempt. You need to be 100% on your driving game when you're pulling one of these behemoths in traffic.

dmcessna

I have heard that some folks will stop overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot. On a multi-day trip would you recommend stopping in an RV park instead?

Marty & Mickey

Buford445

I have Stayed at Camp Wally World with my old 5'r and would with this one, I have seen High Dollar Motorhomes with the slideout deployed at them also

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have heard that some folks will stop overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot. On a multi-day trip would you recommend stopping in an RV park instead?

Marty & Mickey

From other post about that, you need to check ahead before pulling into a WalMart lot for the night. It's not universally allowed at all stores.

Bobby A

Preferably 300 miles but max 400, as JohnDar said, you have to be on top of your driving game pulling these big rigs, tired, irritable, or hungry is not in anyones best interest while towing. JMHO

Last edited:

rvn4fun

Since we are semi retired, winter time, we don't have to make miles like we used to do. We travel about 200 to 300 miles a day. If the wind starts to blow hard we stop and camp. We have only stayed one night at Wally world and that was because of a breakdown. We like to stay at city parks and fairgrounds, we have found the cost of these to be resonable. Sometimes you just have to wander the country and find these, once we find these camping spots we remember them for future use, same as easy to get in and out fuel stops. Once we make our fall trip south to spend the winter we find a acceptable rv park with a monthly rate and spend the winter, then in the spring we move back up north. When we do use a rv park while traveling we look at the ones with just the basics they are usually much cheaper then ones with pools ect. We also look for Passport America parks they are usually low cost.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know that in Milwaukee WI they would not let us once. The neighborhood was so bad that they did not let anyone stay in the parking lot.

trvlrerik

I have limited range with my F350 so I plan my day out in 200 mile fuel stops. On an average day we will cover 400 miles, if we really want to cover ground it is a 600 mile day but those are tough on everybody. I like the 400 mile days, a leisurely breakfast and pack for travel, and unrushed camp set up before dark, it makes trips better for us.

Enjoy your BH

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wow.. Some of you guys travel hard. We are fulltime since 2007. We try to travel only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We travel 150 to 250 miles in one day but have traveled up to 400. We stay at least 2 nights so we can see what is around the area. On extremely few trips have we traveled two days. Never stay in Wal-Mart.

We stay Nov, Dec, & Jan with the family in McKinney TX. Feb we go to the Sweetheart Rally. Go to RGV until Rally in April then head out for new territory and seldom stay more than a week or two. After we have seen all the places we are intrested in then we will start to volunteer for about 3 months and find new places we over looked.

We are looking forward to a Gonzales Burger in Donna this year....

Thats what we do.
BC

noobee

On travel days with only an overnight stop, we usually try to do 450 miles. Some days we only do 300 & on others we occasionally will do 600. We travel with one driver at 60mph or slower if the limit is lower than 60. With stops for rest areas, fuel, lunch, etc. we plan to average 50mph.
If we have back to back travel days we will stay at WalMart, Target, Cabella's, etc but not 2 nights in a row.

CS

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

We are looking forward to a Gonzales Burger in Donna this year....

BC

Oh yea Bobcat, I can't wait for my Gonzales Burger fix. Fine dining at its best.
On a long trip we may go 500 miles the first day then after two days rest we limit travel to about 200 miles.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

When we relocate, we plan the most scenic route we can. When we moved from Uvalde TX to Gig Harbor WA we took 15 days and traveled 3,050 miles, we made it to 12 National parks and had another one planned but weather canceled that one. We had a deadline to make it to WA, so staying extra in one location was not an option. We had a few days that were just over 550 miles and many that were around 350 miles. two were under 200 miles.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK!! Ya got me curious. We'll be going for a Gonzales burger in the next day or two. Since we arrived I've been going to the Diaz Diner every Thursday for breakfast with a few of the "boys" here in the park. Lin & I are also hosting a breakfast in the park on Jan 8th.

Dave, Reggie, Jerry, Should I sign you up? Ham, egg & cheese scramble with hash browns, fresh fruit, toast & juice. $3.50...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Unless you have to be at a certain place at a certain time your daily mileage will vary. Sometime we do 250-350 a day and other time up to 550 a day. All depends on roads, traffic, how I feel, where we want to stay and where we are headed. Sometimes we make reservations ahead and sometimes we just find an RV park as we travel. We do not like to stay without hookups so we overnight at RV parks and not Wal-Mart, Rest Areas or truck stops. The best advise is to be off the road by no later than 4pm so you can find a good spot. We try to be on the road by 8am but no later than 9am. Also if we have to go through a large city we try to get through it before we stop for the night. There is nothing that will ruin a good day than to start out fighting a big city rush hour when towing your rig.

BTW I hope you have RVed before. It would be a shame to sell everything and then find out you don't like to travel, can be with each other constantly or many other factors. I would suggest try it out first before you jump into it with 'both feet'. It is a wonderful lifestyle but not for everyone. Remember you will still have expenses and worries. It just comes from a different direction. But it is fun.

Rmcgrath53

I have a Walmart locator book that has most Wallmart in them with address and phone number. We locate one near our route and call to see if they do campers. Most do. We ask them where to park if no one else is there and try and park driverside to a green belt ( curb area with grass) so we pop the slides out to them and pull the bunk slide out just enough to get into. Works for us. Never had a problem. We do close to 600 miles a day. usually 550-600