Problem with electric fireplace

hoeboe

We've had our 34TSRE out for 5 nights now. So far, mostly good. The biggest problem so far has been the electric fireplace. During the 2nd night, the unit quit working- no light, flames, or heat. I tried turning it off for a while and trying again per the manual, but no luck. The breaker is ok too.

Any suggestions before taking it in to the dealer? I am handy enough with electrical, so I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible. Otherwise, i'll have the dealer handle it when they work on the "we owes" from the purchase.

grizzlygiant

First thing to check is to see if there is 110V to the fireplace. Mine has a plug so it is easy to plug something else into the plug and see if it works. If it does not work then you most probably have a popped circuit breaker or a GFI which has snapped. If it does work your problem is with the fireplace---maybe a bad limit switch---- I keep poking around untill I find the problem.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
the cord on ours comes unplugged easily on a regular bases. Check the plug, chances are that is the problem.

jnbhobe

If your power is ok, try pulling the unit out and look on the top and you wikk see a set of points that are bi-metal and act as the thermostat. I have found a couple of units where one of the wires had broken off or had a cold solder joint. Maybe that will help, The fireplace surround has 4 wood plugs to pull out and 4 screws, then you can pull out the unit and the wires are right on top

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't rely on a visual check of the circuit breaker. Turn the breaker off then on again.
I also agree with the other suggestions.

Peace
Dave

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
We had a problem with our fireplace and called the manufacturer they sent us a repairman to our site in an RV Park and fixed it for us.
good luck.

hoeboe

Thanks for the good responses. I will check into things a little closer in the morning. I have physically reset the breaker but will look again. I will also poke around behind the fireplace to see if i can see anything obvious. I'm always hesitant about returning anything to the dealer since it always seems to take 4 weeks to do anything, no matter how trivial. If it's not obvious, I'll let the dealer take care of it when i go in for the other warranty work.