Electric awning problem

morganm12

George
After reading the rave remarks in response to Kens thread I hate to mention that my electric awning doesn't work as designed. In automatic mode the only time that it retracts is in high wind with horizontal rain. Thats not totally correct. When we (Ruth and I) bought the GC and extended the weather-pro with the auto mode engaged it would retract with no air movement at all at the count of ten. Our dealer contacted Dometic and after replacing some parts and rewiring they got it to retract with their test which was an air gun on the end of a hose used to air up tires. Well that was good except that test produced excessive air directly at the sensor on the roof. We headed out on the road and have encountered some pretty high winds, high enough that we manually retracted the awning. We got to Elkhart and had the boys at LSI check it and they performed the same test that Camperland did which produced the same results. I contacted Dometic and they suggested a service center which I rejected as it was not convenient and I planned to return to Camperland and would let them try again to corrrect the problem. I'm at Camperland now and they informed me that Dometic has told them that there is no wind adjustment on my unit. At this time I don't know what the fix, if any, is going to be. The way it is, I like better than the manual ones. I wish the automatic mode worked properly.

Attachments

• Hershy PA 1 Sept 7 2006.jpg
    Hershy PA 1 Sept 7 2006.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Morgan,
I have exactly the opposite problem. If a wind gets to 5 mph (guessing) the awning rolls up. I have had it in for service and the dealer fixed it, next trip the same thing. I have been told they may have put the mother board in backwards:eek:. Another fine job by this dealer:rolleyes:

K

Ken Washington

George & Tom,
I had heard that there was a problem with the wind sensor. Does your control box have a wind sensor adjustment? The WeatherPro that I am looking at can be adjusted from 12 to 24 mph. Don't know if this is an improved model or not.

Ken

Tom of Ypsi

Ken,

I do not believe my awning has an adjustment on the control box. My rv is at the storage lot so I cannot check on it right now but I will check. This is another thing that I wish came with a manual.

K

Ken Washington

Thanks John,
I had already printed and saved the User's Guide. I am sure that Tom and George will like to look at it also. Not all the information that I would like but better than nothing!

Ken

morganm12

George
I went to the Dometic web site and looked at what they offer now. I'm going to call them Monday and see what can be worked out. If they can and will replace the control box with the one that has an adjustment maybe it will work. I'm still within the one year warranty for another 40 days.

K

Ken Washington

George,
I believe that Dometic has a 3 year warranty on awnings! Slide toppers are only 1 year. You may not be as close as you think!

Ken

Tom of Ypsi

John,

Thanks for the info. I will take a closer look and see if it helps and if not I will be giving Dometic a call.

morganm12

George
Ken Washington said:
George,
I believe that Dometic has a 3 year warranty on awnings! Slide toppers are only 1 year. You may not be as close as you think!

Ken
Corrrect Ken. 3 yrs on parts and shipping, 2rs on labor. Given that then yes I still have some time to get it fixed.

J-W&E

We have a Wind Pro automatic awning too. When the automatic retract for wind is "enabled" we constantly get a "beep - beep" from our control box telling us that the automatic wind control is not working. When we "disable" it, the beeping noise stops. The awning opens and closes fine when done manually. I am glad to hear that it has a 3 year warranty. We have called Dometic several times and disconnected the power and such they ask us to do........but the warning beeping does not stop.

ct0218

I don't remember seeing any wind speed settings on mine. As I recall it is just enable/disable.

morganm12

George
I got a response from Dometic this morning and passed the info on to my dealer and was informed that they (Dometic) wouldn't replace my system and they (Dometic) wouldn't cover any adjusments. Dometic did fax me a copy of the instructions on where and how to adjust the sensitivity. So to answer one of the questions that has bounced around here is that there is a sensitivity adjustment which I will try as they told me that my warranty want be screwed if I make the adjustments.