Cummins Generator Installation, Repair and Warranty

We bought our Cyclone 3950 in Oct 2009. We purchase an extended warranty through the dealership at the same time. Earlier this month we started experiencing problems with the Factory Installed Cummins Generator. Got out the manuals, found that it should still be under Cummins warranty and contacted a local dealer/service dept in Charlotte NC. Got our camper over there. A couple of days later the mechanic contacts us to inform us that the switch was faulty. Then he called to say that the cable from the generator to the frame was broken and that the generator had been improperly installed because there wasn't a ground to the battery. Long story short: Cummins doesn't want to honor their factory warranty due to improper installation at Heartland Factory; Extended Warranty company will not honor for same reason and Heartland disputes honoring any sort of Factory Warranty because they dispute what the Cummins dealer mechanic says since, according to Heartland there is a Cummins Rep on site that "oversees" the installation. Let's think about that for a moment...one of two things: either the mechanic doesn't know what he is doing or their own Rep doesn't know what he is doing...either way...it should be covered under one of the warranties. Bottom line, we are out of the 1880.00 we just paid to have the generator repaired! In light of this, Heartland should show more interest in our situation and go to bat for us with Cummins or honor the Factory warranty...

danemayer

The diagnosis sounds a little suspicious. I have to wonder how the generator ran OK prior to this if the missing ground was the root cause.

And I agree with you that Heartland should be taking the lead to work it out with Cummins.

But let's say the servicer is correct and there were 3 contributing problems. To me, the faulty switch and associated labor costs should be covered by the Cummins warranty, unless the Cummins Engineers can explain how the missing ground damaged the switch while still allowing the generator to function (seems unlikely). A broken cable sounds like another Cummin's warranty issue, unless there's a determination by the servicer that improper installation of the cable caused it to break (possible, but might be hard to determine). The missing ground to the battery sounds like a Heartland issue; although someone should explain how a generator that needs a ground in order to run could actually run without one. But maybe that portion of the bill should be paid by Heartland, unless they have a prior agreement from Cummins that Cummins is responsible for installation errors.

I guess I'm suggesting that you ask Heartland and Cummins to have their engineers decide who should be responsible for each of the 3 failures, rather than asking one company to pay the entire bill.

DMitch

I agree, Heartland should be helping you with Cummins. If the dealer that you purchased the unit from is any good, take the bill to the manager and plunk it on his desk. Ask him if he can put pressure on some one. This certainly should not be your expense. Good lucki with this.

lwmcguir

Should make you feel real good about extended warranties. Sure think you are getting a raw deal as well.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sometimes the dealers can word claims to warranty companies in a manner that benefits the customer, if you know what I mean. I have had them do this for me, without being asked for a previous RV and a motor vehicle. They get paid from the warranty and they are making a friend of the customer.