Television not working

olcoon

We were having an issue with our power going on & off. The microwave sometimes would be beeping for about a minute. Most of the time it would stop & we'd have power. Took it to the dealer & they had it for about 2 weeks & couldn't find anything wrong. This was back in Sept. It didn't do it for a while then it started doing it again. The wife said she thought she was smelling smoke, but I couldn't smell anything. Later on I could smell something odd, so I went outside & turned the power off. We took it to a dealer while on the road a few weeks ago, and they decided it was the converter. While the tech was getting ready to install a new converter, it started doing it again. He traced the problem to the plug on the power cord where it plugs into the coach. Two of the wires were loose & he tightened them up & the problem was solved. The coach is still under warranty so no charge. When we hit the road to go home, at the first campground, I tried to turn on the TV & it wouldn't come on. Plugged in our weather radio in both outlet plugs & it worked. Plugged the TV into another outlet & it still wouldn't work. Changed the batteries in the remote...still won't work, finally found an on & off switch on the TV & it still doesn't work. Was able to push on where the cable plugs into the back of the TV, still nothing. When we got home, I checked the plug & it shows 118 volts in each plug. Going to call Heartland next week, but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

truknutt

Committed Member
Sorry for your loss, olcoon. This is a prime example of why each coach should have some type of permanent surge suppression/power protection in use when connected to shore power, preferably just after power enters the coach. In your case, the umbilical cord connection was faulty so even something like my portable Progressive Industries unit wouldn't have helped 'cause it plugs into the power pedestal and then your cord gets plugged into it.

I sure do wish that the RV manufacturers would at least offer power protection units as an option when having your new rig built.

olcoon

hoefler: That's what I was thinking, but the dealer that worked on it "assured" me that couldn't happen. I'm still not sure about that.

truknutt: I had a surge protector on the pedestal, when I bought it I debated buying a permanent surge protector installed between the umbilical cord & converter, but I opted for the "cheap" way instead. Good old hind sight!

Thanks for the replies...I think!

Willym

You shouldn't get voltage surges with repeated power interruptions at your coach, but the TV may see repeated current in-rushes. These may be enough to overheat and blow an internal fuse or power supply component. Since the connector was bad, this should be covered by warranty. Good luck.

olcoon

Well, I finally got the 5er over to my dealer today. After spending a few hours there, I left with a new TV. I'm a happy camper...again! Don't know what the problem with it was, they used their high dollar meters, etc. and gave me a new one just like the one that came with it. :^)