mpg 181 electrical questions

kb0zke

We got our new 181 four weeks ago, and spent the first night in it. Unfortunately, it has had to sit alone for the past four weeks, and the battery went flat. I hooked the car up today, and let it idle for an hour or so to recharge the battery a bit.

1. Is the built-in charger a float charger? If so, I can just leave it plugged in when we're home, and the battery will be ready to go whenever we get a break in the schedule and a break in the weather.

2. If not, should I install a battery switch and disconnect when at home, plugging in for a day or so every so often?

3. How difficult would it be to put a switch on the stereo, so it can be OFF when the rig is not in use?

GOTTOYS

It probably has a float type charger, most of the newer units do. The radio memory as well as a propane leak detector and possibly a carbon monoxide detector are all drains on the battery when it is just parked. Best to either disconnect the battery or put a inline disconnect switch in place. The battery will hold a charge for several months if it is fully charged when parked and disconnected from everything although it would be best for the battery if you charged it once a month or so. A disconnect is easy to install. You can put it into either the positive or negative side, the battery won't know the difference as it needs to have both sides hooked up to function. Best to try put it out the weather as some of the disconnects don't like to get wet and may corrode internally. Remember you will need to power it up to keep your break away switch operable for towing....Don

ultrafarmer

You can leave it plugged in all the time. Mine has a very good charger which brings it to full charge then backs down and monitors battery cond. In the winter I unhook one battery cable and then about once a month hook it back up and plug in for a couple of days. It works for me..

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I moved this thread out of the ATF area, because it has been answered by other Heartland owners and the factory is closed until after the first of the year.