2011 DRW Fords

porthole

Retired
OK - well these are a PITA to check air pressure. Found out what it is like changing a flat too :(

Been driving since 1974 and never had to change a flat tire (trailer excluded). I am almost convinced that I picked up the truck from the dealer with the right rear inner flat.

Don't know if the prior 2011's have the same wheels but these a real pain to do air pressure checks (from the dealer my rear tires were less then 40 psi, should be 65 psi).

Anyone using sensors or valve stem extensions?

lwmcguir

On our F550 I use a double headed chuck with a 10 inch extension to the gauge. Still a PITA though. Our F350 2011 SRW has the factory sensors and system installed. Seems to work very well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Doran TPMS and use the sensors. They work fine but you are right it is really a major pita to put on or remove the sensors or check pressure on the inner. BTW the dealer will usually under inflate the tires to give it a softer ride. When mine was new and I picked it up I left the lot and stopped to check the tire and inflate them finding I only had less than 20 pounds on the rear inners and 25 pounds in the outers. Supposed to be 80 in them. The front only had 20 psi in them. You would think the make-ready department would inflate the tires properly but I guess that takes too much intelligence.

porthole

Retired
On the Ford forums the lack of user adjustable parameters seems to be an issue with the factory TPMS.
You would think with the DRW it would make sense to add it to the truck
At least if my truck had it I would have known if I had a flat when I left the dealer

porthole

Retired
With the TST sensors it would actually be better if they were not an "anti-theft" type.
It is the spinning cover and no room for the installation tool that makes it extra diffulcult

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
With the TST sensors it would actually be better if they were not an "anti-theft" type.
It is the spinning cover and no room for the installation tool that makes it extra diffulcult
Duane, not sure if you know this or not but. You can remove the outer casing from the sensors. At least on my sensors, there are 3 tiny Phillips screws to remove and they then become removable without the special tool.

porthole

Retired
Duane, not sure if you know this or not but. You can remove the outer casing from the sensors. At least on my sensors, there are 3 tiny Phillips screws to remove and they then become removable without the special tool.

Ray - I think you got the last set of sensors with the replaceable batteries. Mine are the throw away versions - so no taking apart without breaking the cover.

H'mm, maybe I should have just ordered them.
But the odds are good if I didn't get them right then and there that I would have procrastinated just long enough to not have them when my tire failed on the way back from Trail Air.