No sound on tv, only through surround speakers

tf5598

2010 NT 32 BUDS w/ (I'm guessing the standard) Jensen 19" LCD and combo cd/dvd/radio unit.

Have been troubleshooting this off and on for a while now. Our inside tv (the one that rotates between the main area and the bedroom) does not give us any sound when playing a dvd--sound works when using the antenna and when using cable. We've tried every setting we can find on the tv and dvd player, but no luck.

I'm in the process of checking the connections between the dvd player and the tv, but it's not been easy getting at them due to some shoddy workmanship by NT in installing the units--they only used one screw on each side of the dvd player, and one was completely stripped out so i had to drill it out. I'm still working on getting the tv un-mounted. They used only 3 of the 4 bolts when they installed it, and one is cross-threaded so badly that I can't get it out. Can't get pliers or vice grips on it because it's flush w/ the wood surface. May end up drilling it out as well.

Off the soapbox now. Anyone have a similar issue and figured it out? I'll keep at it and post an update when I have it all resolved. Thanks for any info.

pegmikef

Our inside tv (the one that rotates between the main area and the bedroom) does not give us any sound when playing a dvd--sound works when using the antenna and when using cable. We've tried every setting we can find on the tv and dvd player, but no luck.

I had the opposite problem and could not get sound from the TV into trailer speakers. The DVD unit is the Touch Audio and I discovered that there are NO audio outputs that can be input to the TV, so when a DVD is playing the sound will only play through the trailer speakers. The audio cables are really audio input cables (to the auxilary input on the DVD player), so I did get the tv audio to play through the trailer speakers. Bottom line is if you have a touch audio system, you probably won't get your dvd audio to play through the tv speakers.

However, if you have a Jensen DVD player (like I had in my Edge), then it might just be a matter of checking the cabling, because the Jensen has a multitude of pig tails that will accommodate almost any combination. From the factory, mine was all screwed up, but it was easy to change because all of the inputs/outputs were well marked.

Last edited:

pegmikef

It's the Touch Audio VD-4001i. Sounds like I'm stuck. I still can't believe that this is how it was designed.
One thought comes to mind. Something you might try is isolating a pair (left/right) of the speaker wires (they are colored coded on the touch audio schematic), tap into them and create another set of audio cables that you can run to the audio in plugs on your TV. The audio line drop probably wouldn't be noticeable because of the short distances involved. You can probably get anything you need at Radio Shack for a few bucks. You have to be careful though because this would probably affect your warranty.

JENSENRVdirect

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

In order to receive audio from the DVD player through the TV’s built-in speakers, you would need to connect a stereo audio cable from the DVD player’s AUDIO OUT to the TV’s AUDIO IN that is on the same input that the DVD VIDEO cable is connected to.

Depending on the capabilities of the DVD Audio system, you may or may not be able to turn OFF the external speakers while still outputting signal to the TV. Consult your owner’s manual or contact the appropriate manufacturer.

We do not recommend splicing into the DVD unit’s speaker wires and connecting directly to the TV’s AUDIO IN as this will cause damage to the unit. The speaker output wires are a hi-level signal (amplified), where the AUDIO IN is designed to work with low-level signals (LINE LEVEL). If your DVD unit does not have a low-level AUDIO OUT, you would need to use a hi/lo-level converter to go between the DVD unit’s speaker wires to the TV’s AUDIO IN. These can be found at most electronics stores, such as Radio Shack or Best Buy.

When connected in this manner, your external speakers would be active in order to send signal to the TV, thus external & the TV’s internal speakers would be active at the same time.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

fullenw

Does Jensen have a head unit that can easily replace the touch audio? I'll take anything even if it is only a radio, i dont care about DVD to the TV. I can get a small DVD player for that.