Black tank Problem

L'l John

I have a Bighorn 3400 that I took delivery of in June, 06.
The problem that I am experiencing since it was new is that any time that I get close to filling the black tank, but not even up to where I can see the liquid in the drain pipe going from the commode, there is a strong odor of sewage filling the interior of the trailer.
Of course, when that happens I immediately empty the tank, but the odor remains for at least a day. In any of the other RVs that I have owned, I was always able to fill the black tank until the liquid was visible down the commode, buy not up into the bowl.
I have had my camper back to my dealer for this problem but when they test it using clean water, there are no visible leaks found.
This happened again today. I went on top to check the vent and found that the pipe was sticking up into the vent cap enough that it touched the cap, probably making it less effective in the venting process.
Has anyone else had this type of problem? If so, what did you find that was causing it?
I am in the Rio Grande Valley in south TX. until the end of March and there is no Heartland dealer in the area. If the problem persist, I will be taking it back to my home dealer in April. Until then I guess I will just have to dump the sewage sooner that I should have to. Can't stand to wait till it gets full!!!

Any thought or comments are welcome.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the same trailer #4995. I am able to fill till I see liquid in the pipe below the seal but I usually don't wait that long to dump. I dump when the toilet "Burps" when it's flushed. I have had odor in the trailer if I have the bathroom vent open and either the kitchen or bedroom fantastic fan going. That seems to draw in the odor from the rooftop vent. Especially if the breeze is in the right direction.

K

Ken Washington

L'I John,
I assume that you are using chemicals to cut down on the odor! I thought that we had the same problem but found out that our problem was coming from the vents under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. They put a cheap vent cap which I replaced with better ones I found at Ace Hardware. The ones I got at Ace have a spring in them and are not expensive at all. Maybe this is your problem!

Ken

ct0218

It's called a studor valve, allows air into a standpipe for proper draining. It's a one-way valve (air in), but cheap versions can stick or fail allowing odors to come out. They're not expensive, but I would advise buying one from a plumbing supply house, or a home improvement store if it carries a known brand.

GARTH

We had the same odor problem until I read about Happy Camper sewage treatment somewhere on this forum. I ordered some and started using it and haven't had an odor problem since. It doesn't even stink when dumping the sewer. You can find it on their web site at www.5starhappycamper.com. You won't be sorry! Garth

ChopperBill

GARTH said:
We had the same odor problem until I read about Happy Camper sewage treatment somewhere on this forum. I ordered some and started using it and haven't had an odor problem since. It doesn't even stink when dumping the sewer. You can find it on their web site at www.5starhappycamper.com. You won't be sorry! Garth
I have been using this stuff for a year. No odor what so ever. It is the best ever!

timk

John,
Our 3400 had a similar issue. We put one of those vent caps that swing in the wind, so as to cause a slight vacuum in the tank. Problem was solved. haven't had a stink since, no matter what chemical we use. careful what vent you put it on, its not the one by the bathroom, (on our rig) its the one over by the shower.
TimK

L'l John

I Want to thank all of you for your suggestions.

I still haven't solved the problem with the odor that surfaces when the black tank is nearly full, but still below the toilet seal.
I will get one of those vent covers that pivot in the wind and try it. I wonder how effective it will be without a wind. Don't expect to be without a wind as long as we are in south TX.
Might even order some of the suggested chemical and try it. At the present I am using a bacteria and enzyme chemical that claims to help keep the tank and sensors clean. "Claims" being the operative work here.
Maybe one of the formaldehyde chemicals would be a more effective odor stopper?