Shock Grommets Cracked

Birchwood

My Landmark Pinehust has less than 5,000 miles and the grumets on the shocks are totally gone.
The rubbers especially on the inside are flattened ,cracked and falling away from the shock.I called
Limpert,the suspension supplier ,and they shipped me new grumets at my expense.I have replaced
them on one side of the RV and now getting ready to do the other side.Not a big job but time consuming.
I think this might be something that may continually give me problems.Since this occurance I have been
noting the suspension on other large fifth wheels and some have shocks and some do not.An Ameri Camp
I seen was new and seemed to have the same type of leaf suspension as the Landmark but no shocks.
My question is do I really require shocks or next time the rubbers go can I remove the shocks?

Thanks

beardedone

Beardedone
Re: ATF: Landmark -

Some people say you don't need the shocks but I think they may have a use if they had been properly installed. I had a lot of suspension trouble on my Landmark and had it rebuilt with new shocks which were installed at a much less severe angle so that they move more easily and are actually effective. The way they come from the factory they are quite ineffective and simply bend more and quite easily at that. I suggest you search this site where there are lots of details about this issue. Also consult a commercial vehicle suspension company in your area to see if they have any experience with RVs and assess their ideas.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I moved this thread out of ATF so it can be better answered by the Heartland Owners. Also the Factory is closed until after the first of the year.

caissiel

I experienced the same thing with my BC last winter, with 4000 miles the rubbers were gone on some and the bottom attachment rods were bend about 30Deg. I did some research and found out that the ideal shock angle was at 60Deg off the horizontal and my shocks were at 28-30 Deg. With the axles traveling and the trailer lower once hooked to the truck the front shocks were riding even lower angle. To me it did not fit right.

I bought some steel and made 4 shock adapters and increased the installed angle at 60Deg thus alinging the angle of the frame mount and the spring plate right midway with the shocks. The rubbers are now thighten snugg and look perfectly aligned

In addition I did notice a much improved stability of the middle area of the trailer when parked. The straighten shocks have more effect in preventing the movement at the spring and wheel section.

Birchwood

Sounds like I am wasting my time(as I thought ) but wanted to think why a company would have such a design flaw.I will install the new
rubbers and when I return to Fredericton from Florida in the spring have them redone by someone who knows what they are doing.
Thanks for the angle information.

GOTTOYS

This is a modification I am considering also. One look at how those shocks are mounted makes me wonder..what the heck were they thinking??? I too would appreciate some pictures and or details on the new mounts you made. Thanks..Don

lwmcguir

All of our better campers had had shocks or air suspension. I think shocks are very important in reducing the shock effect. We don't have any now as the 8K hubs took up all the available room. The CP does work well and the ride is improved from the stock 7K/shock set up.

Shocks or air (CP or BAGS) should be used to reduce the stress on the Coach.

You wouldn't wear out the grommets if the axles weren't moving around a lot.

caissiel

These are the brakets I had to do while in florida. I want to build better ones with larger bars but same bolts grade 8 3/8" same as the shock rods. Also I back nut them with lock nuts so nothing will ever get loose and damage the tire that runs so close.

Attachments

• 2010-07-28 010.jpg
    2010-07-28 010.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 91

GOTTOYS

Thank you for the pictures. That doesn't look too complicated. Yet another project for next Summer. I have a wet bolt kit and heavier shackles to add already, might as well move the shocks at the same time. About the time I get everything the way I want it...I'll sell it and start on another one. Isn't that the way it usually happens?...Don

caissiel

The trailer I traded on this one, I had already modified the spring suspensin components to allow alignment and raising of trailer. Took a lot of work but the new owner has the benefits.

K

karykatz

Peter,

The shocks are for improved suspension. You can run your unit without shocks if you choose. I hope this helps.

Birchwood

I am quite pleased with our Landmark ,live in it 12 months a year and all the necessities are reliable.I do believe
its better to use the RV rather than have it set in cold for 6 months.We only travel to locations where is warm.
I used to think Heartland was a good company because of its size and limited selection of RVs but since 2009
there are so many new models I can't keep up.Perhaps producing a few models of high quality is better than many
low quality units??Shocks is such a simple install I shouldn't even have to writing this article.