Mobile Wireless Internet

Tom of Ypsi

Don,
Thanks for the link. I will have to look into this a little deeper but it sure does look like the way to go. Coverage looks very similar to Verizon.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Tom, right now I believe it works through both Verizon and Sprint/Nextel and Sheri red in her search that they are working on a third format to be added in the future. The coverage now looks pretty good to me.

Don

Tom of Ypsi

Don,

The Verizon connection looked pretty obvious, recognized the map right away but using Sprint/Nextel also would make it great. Since I am not a tech person what is a VoIP Skype Phone? I am thnking it is just another name for a cell phone.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
I noticed on their web site that they offer the internet service only through the cell towers that are set up for it. They do not provide service through all towers. If you look at the Verizon map showing where their Internet service is available, it is only in major citys and the corridors between them. I suspect that all the other providers have similiar locations for their towers which means no service in most of the parks that I will be staying at.

ct0218

That's why I went with a Verizon air card, unlimited usage, for $60 month. Anywhere I can get a cell signal I can get email and internet.

nhunter

If you look under the telecommunications group there is a lengthy thread on what some of us are currently using.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Tom, below is a definition of VoIP. Skype is a program that allows you to use VoIP. My brother called me once on Skype (He's a techie too and was just playing with it), it sounded really good for a computer call. It was a clear conversation, good volume, not quite full duplex, but with only a hint of hesitation.

By the way Vonage is also a VoIP provider, but it takes the place of your "land" line. However, it can cause other problems, such as not allowing your home alarm system to communicate.

Sheri

"Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is a technology that allows you to make voice calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analog) phone line. Some VoIP services may only allow you to call other people using the same service, but others may allow you to call anyone who has a telephone number - including local, long distance, mobile, and international numbers. Also, while some VoIP services only work over your computer or a special VoIP phone, other services allow you to use a traditional phone connected to a VoIP adapter."

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Sheri,
Thanks for the explanation of VoIP. I now remember that I had used that once before and the sound quality was not that good. It was probably an older version since this was a few years ago. I will check out the Computer World link you just posted.

J

Jim_1899

Would this new device work in the RV by plugging it into the DC plug. I think I have one in my Bighorn I know I did in my travel trailer. Its getting to be a long winter now without camping now for three weeks.

This looks like a good option I wonder if it would pick up a connection better than my sprint phone when off the main highways.

Jim

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Jim, yes it would. In an article about the system (not on Autonet's site) in mentioned that it also can be plugged in to the AC, however the jury was still out as to whether it would come with the AC adapter or the AC adapter would be an accessory. I tried to find a picture of the back of the router so that I could see all of the connection points, but no luck, so I can't verify the AC option.

As to signal strength... It has a larger antenna which should give it the capability of greater signal strength. Also since it can pull from Sprint/Nextel and Verizon towers (and they hope to add Cingular/AT&T) it has a greater variety of towers to pull from.

It is supposed to be released in late spring and we have pre-ordered, so hopefully we will have all of the firm answers by May.

Sheri