Cyclone, 3914 toy hauler, thinking of buying one and want your opinions

Mr._Cob

Howdy All,

New kid on the block and would like to have comments from those who own any of the large Cyclone toy haulers in particular the 2009 3914, or something similar. I have never seen a Cyclone, there is no dealer in my area so I have nothing to go on but on line photos.

I have been looking for a toy hauler with a 14 foot detached garage for a long time, I have found one but its 300 miles away and before I drive there I'd like to have some input from those who have such a rig. What should I look for when doing the walk around inspection, it still has the original "Mission 235-80-16 tires on it from what I have read these should be REPLACED ASAP, what brand and style of tire do you folks recommend?

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 full size box dually with a built auto trans and exhaust brake, I now haul a 4500 pound camper and tow a trailer that when loaded goes over 7500 pounds. My truck handles the load it now has with NO problems when it comes to driving at the highest speed limits and I drive LOT in the mountains. Should I expect any unusual problems towing this large toy hauler?

Thanks for any information you can share or advise you can offer.

jimtoo

Hi Mr Cob,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions soon, but this is a holiday period, so be patient and some of the Cyclone owners will try to answer your questions.

I am moving this to the Cyclone area also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PUG

Pug
I pull an 09 cyclone 3950 usually with the trl loaded with a four wheeler and a street bike. I pull with an 09 ram 3500 short box dually. Not a problem. I used to pull with an 02 Duramax single rear tire and it was a bit much for it. I have about 10000 miles on my Missions and keep an eye on the air pressure deligently. No problems with the tires so far. Going on a 3500 mile trip this year. I have added a TST tire pressure/temp system to allow me to keep a better eye on the tires on truck and trailer.

crazybanshee

We have had our Cyclone for three and a half years and love it. It is very heavy loaded with a pin weight of 4250lbs. My F350 gets very little use since we bought this trailer. I am not the weight police but watch your truck ratings.
Doug

smday

We have the 3850. The wife says this is the last trailer we need to buy as she is extremely happy with it. As you can see in my signature at the bottom of my post we carry alot to the mountains with no problems. You can't go wrong with the cyclone as they are well built. Good luck in your search and hopefully you become a new member of our increasing family.

sriley

Don't buy from Great Lakes RV in Elkhart, IN. They are not truthful and will not honor the deals they make to you. We have a 3914 Cyclone and love it but have had major, major repairs on it before the warranty was up.

trackeer

We have 2011 3814 and haul two Harleys and other goodies. The 14 foot garage cuts into some living space but if you intend to haul anything substantial the big garage is nice, also nice is the bed conversion to a pick nick style facing seating and the table between, our dining room.
Were in NH and bought from RV Wholesalers and barring some BS I would buy from them again, the deal was reasonable and they held up their end of the deal, not to say everything was perfect but all and all were pleased with the camper.
I doubt I would buy any toy hauler with less than a 12 foot garage but prefer the 14, nice to squeeze a full dress HD and Road King in and have some room left over:
The camper itself is nicee for the money, in retrospect I would have liked insulated tanks as well the lines, yes the under belly is heated but all that seperates the weather from the bottom is a piece of 1/4 inch plastic. I will remedy and insulate myself. The east west bed in the master slideout could use a nitestand or shelf, on ours we have no place to put a clock etc. As well there are some minor QC issues nothing earth shattering but these are things that Heartland should catch before sending this thing out the door.
I would recommend the Cyclone and RV Wholesalers, talk to Brad Jackson very nice salesperson, course give your unit a good walking over no matter who you buy from.

Goodluck
Moe in NH

DW_Gray

Howdy All,

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 full size box dually with a built auto trans and exhaust brake, I now haul a 4500 pound camper and tow a trailer that when loaded goes over 7500 pounds. My truck handles the load it now has with NO problems when it comes to driving at the highest speed limits and I drive LOT in the mountains. Should I expect any unusual problems towing this large toy hauler?

Thanks for any information you can share or advise you can offer.

First of all, welcome to our forum. You have come to the best place to gain knowledge about Heartland products.

I'm not sure but I suspect your truck may be a little light to tow the 3914. Consider reading the article "Before You Buy" and check out the Towing Guide section for your truck model.

jasons09cyclone

Welcome to the community.. this post is a little late but I'll post anyway.... I've been pulling a 2009 cyclone 3950 since march 2008 With a 2008 ford f250 fx4 SRW short bed.. That has airbags on it in the back and nothing else done to it.. The tires are stock 20" that came with 3750 lbs. rating per tire.. Which is more than some others that I've had.. The total weight at the scales with the rig attached is just over 27000 lbs. which is prob 3 or 4 thousands pounds more than the truck is supposed to carry.. Thankfully I havnt had any problems... It actually tows better that a 26 ft toybox I used to have.. I forget it's back there sometimes..

drzr

Our 2012 CY3800 was delivered Friday (11/18) and we love it. Was delivered here in East Texas from Great Lakes RV cheaper than I could buy one nearer to us. We are TOTALLY new to this life but feel we will enjoy it as part timers. Planning trip to Hot Springs soon. Towed a short distance(50 miles) with 2011 F250 CC SRW with air bags extra spring and Mor Ryde and towed and stopped good.

DW_Gray

Our 2012 CY3800 was delivered Friday (11/18) and we love it. Was delivered here in East Texas from Great Lakes RV cheaper than I could buy one nearer to us. We are TOTALLY new to this life but feel we will enjoy it as part timers. Planning trip to Hot Springs soon. Towed a short distance(50 miles) with 2011 F250 CC SRW with air bags extra spring and Mor Ryde and towed and stopped good.

I'm curious, did anyone at the RV dealership question you in any way about what tow vehicle you had before or during the purchase of the CY3800? If so, please share the discussion.

JasonShrout

Pug,
with the short bed, do you encounter many problems when maneuvering? I understand Heartland has the gooseneck set to alleviate turning radius problems... Just wanted to know how well it actually does when a salesman isn't pitching the "wonders and innovations" speech. Thanks!