Kingpin Stabilizers are they necessary? Opinions Please.

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

If this has been posted before please forgive me. I did a search and it didn't come up.

I have seen the pin tripod under many 5th wheels in CG's. Are they more for support of the weight that's on that part of the trailer or more for stabilizing it for less shaking?
I'm new to 5th wheel Rv's and trying learn more about them. Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a kingpin tripod. But I don't use it on short trips. Well actually I don't use it at all any more since I got the Level Up. There are different schools of thought on them. I think that they work to stabilize the rig. Some think that they are ineffective with a Trail Air pin box. I had the Trail Air and it does work. That air bag supports 3,000 pounds of pin weight and I am pretty sure that my 175 is not going to have an effect on that bag.
I do think that there are better ways of stabilizing your rig. One would be to install a landing gear type stabilizer. Such as the JT Strongarms. With the tripod it's one more thing to drag around. The JT's stay attached and you don't have to remove or store them.
IMHO

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

I like the landing gear stabilizers better. Work very well and are self storing, You just have to remember to unlock them before moving the landing gear.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The tripod stabilizers also help secure your rig against theft. At least mine takes a padlock that would at least require cutting it, as opposed to just backing under it and driving off. I agree with Dave though, I don't use it for one night stands.

Willym

I use a bipod, and it really cuts down on trailer movement when the Splendide is on its spin cycle. Before, people used to ask us why the trailer was shaking, but didn't believe us when we said laundry.

MurrayN.

I made my own landing gear stabilizers for under $100 and they work fantastic. Nothing to take off and store somewhere else, they just lift with the gear when you hitch up. I also use a king pin lock to secure my trailer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI the Eliminator is the same as the J T Strongarm but for less money. Mount, look and work the same. The Eliminator is available at Camping World.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the steadfast system, www.steadfast.com. It works great at stabilizing the front of the trailer against wiggle. The back, not as much as I had hoped, we may add something midway near the wheels, to help, sometime in the future.

Pizzaguy

Forget the tripod and look for the JT's or Ultrafab Eliminators.There are alot of people who have the steadyfast system who swear by that also. I have the Ultrafabs and immediately sold the tripod.Tweetys.com is another excellent source these.

wdk450

The tripod stabilizers also help secure your rig against theft. At least mine takes a padlock that would at least require cutting it, as opposed to just backing under it and driving off. I agree with Dave though, I don't use it for one night stands.

I don't use a tripod, but I do use a kingpin lock. Mine is sort of like the one in the link below, and the cost is comparable, but mine uses a HEAVY steel U-strap, a locking pin, and a lock end that attaches to the pin. Locking up that $50K trailer is a good idea.

http://tweetys.com/kingpinjacklock.aspx

ckrspan5

I made my own landing gear stabilizers for under $100 and they work fantastic. Nothing to take off and store somewhere else, they just lift with the gear when you hitch up. I also use a king pin lock to secure my trailer.

would it be possible to get a pic??

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
would it be possible to get a pic??
Model SB1000 Pictures (from their website). There also seems to be a distributor in North Carolina (see info and link below pictures).
modele_LPC-VR.jpg
sb100.jpg
LPC-VRSB1000
caravane_sellette.jpg
caravane_bulle.jpg
When the Caravan Coupler
is unhitched.When the Caravan Coupler
is hitched.
EQUI SPIRIT
230 NORT BENNETT STREET #1A
POST OFFICE 1987
SOUTHERN PINES, NC
U.S.A 283388
TEL : 1-877-575-1771
FAX : 1-910-692-1164
www.equispirit.com

jimtoo

I have checked the place in the link and cannot find anything about the locks,, no pricing or information.. maybe I missed something. I sent information to Tweety's . Com, these guys are really good about picking up information and a new product for RV'ers. Hopefully they will list it on their web site soon.

Jim M

Bighurt

I found pricing $495 CAD with the insurance program the insurance company pics up $100 of that. Alas nothing in the US...

I really did like the information I found and it does seam like a solid product of worthy investment, however I'm not in a position to drive to Canada at the moment.